Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:05AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Problems with the iPhone 4 already
PostPosted: Mon 07-05-2010 6:10PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Patrick wrote:
devil wrote:
I love my Nexus One. Completely open operating system, and I can actually hold it in my hand. Amazing! And as soon as I get the Froyo update, I'll have mobile WiFi hotspot capability without having to pay extra.

I love mine too! Why wait for the over-the-air update though? As long as the update is manually downloaded from a google server I trust it and had no problems updating mine. I'm loving the new features and I'm already excited to be one of the first to see the Gingerbread update this October.

I considered that but just didn't want to risk bricking my phone (although that seems highly improbable). However, I got the OTA update around a week ago and I love it. I thought the speed improvements might've been just marketing speak, but 2.2 is noticeably faster than 2.1. The jerkiness in home screen transition animations are gone, scrolling is smoother, and apps load more quickly. I really haven't had a chance to use Mobile Hotspot yet (although I did test it out) but I'm really looking forward to having that, especially next time I'm at a hotel or airport that doesn't have free WiFi.

dar9q7 wrote:
I'm jealous. I'm waiting for the Evo update to be released!

The unfortunate thing about the Evo and other carrier-branded phones is I highly doubt you'll get Froyo's built in mobile hotspot for free. That's the great thing about the Nexus One, I have mobile hotspot and there's not a damn thing AT&T can do to prevent it or charge me for it.

PostPosted: Mon 07-05-2010 7:48PM 
Colonel

Agreed, but I'm also kind of banking on the dev communities to root the newest OTA update and then I'll root and deny the future updates, like I should have this one. I got the phone the day after the OTA went out and didn't bother reading up on my forums before I accepted and activated the phone.

As for carrier choices, I have been beyond disappointed with AT&T in the past using my friends' phones, especially for the price they pay on the data plans. Sprint seems to be by far the most reasonable pricewise, especially on a family plan with a company discount.

PostPosted: Mon 07-05-2010 7:51PM 
Colonel

I haven't played with it yet, but I believe I can tether for free on sprint through USB and honestly if I'm somewhere that I need to tether to my phone, it wont bother me to have it plugged into my laptop.

PostPosted: Tue 07-06-2010 12:21PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
if you are a tech savvy phone user, i think windows mobile phones are worthy of mention. you can write a windows program, and install it on your phone! REVOLUTIONARY

although i must admit, android looks and works a little better.

i have a samsung jack, with winmo 6.5 on it and i can run torrents over 3g, get on irc, play 16 gigs of mp3's, connect to wifi, tether for free over ad-hoc wifi to many computers without paying the tethering data charge, and more. And the phone was a free upgrade.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 07-06-2010 2:49PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
All that with a free upgrade phone - it's no wonder the Kin crashed and burned after a month.

PostPosted: Tue 07-06-2010 4:42PM 
Major General

Patrick wrote:
All that with a free upgrade phone - it's no wonder the Kin crashed and burned after a month.

The failure with the Kin was that they required the regular data plan, which meant for not much more, you could've gone with a Droid. Verizon should've offered something like a $10 data plan knowing the Kin wouldn't be as data hungry as the other smartphones.

PostPosted: Tue 07-06-2010 8:26PM 
Major General

I think J. Allard's departure and internal politics were more to do w/ Kin's death. http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/what-killed-the-kin/

Which I'm just gonna put it out there J. Allard leaving MS is bad news. Especially if part of the reason was old and stupid MS politics.

EDIT: ok, well article doesn't read quite like it used to... so I probably just sound crazy..

PostPosted: Tue 07-06-2010 11:51PM 
bertowned
bertowned

devil wrote:
Verizon should've offered something like a $10 data plan knowing the Kin wouldn't be as data hungry as the other smartphones.

Verizon's reason for not offering a cheap data plan is because the Kin was just as data hungry as other smartphones. It regularly backs itself up to the cloud. Regularly syncing high-res photos isn't exactly light on bandwidth.

PostPosted: Wed 07-07-2010 4:34PM 
Major General

amd2800barton wrote:
devil wrote:
Verizon should've offered something like a $10 data plan knowing the Kin wouldn't be as data hungry as the other smartphones.

Verizon's reason for not offering a cheap data plan is because the Kin was just as data hungry as other smartphones. It regularly backs itself up to the cloud. Regularly syncing high-res photos isn't exactly light on bandwidth.

Really? I had no idea, I thought it was more of a successor to the Sidekick, just for texting, Twitter, Facebook and light web usage.

In that case, what did Microsoft expect? It was priced like a smartphone, required the same plans as a smartphone, and was nowhere near as capable as a smart phone.

PostPosted: Wed 07-07-2010 4:55PM 
Major General

devil wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:
devil wrote:

Really? I had no idea, I thought it was more of a successor to the Sidekick, just for texting, Twitter, Facebook and light web usage.

In that case, what did Microsoft expect? It was priced like a smartphone, required the same plans as a smartphone, and was nowhere near as capable as a smart phone.

Devil... did you even read the article? When it was being developed it was supposed to be heavily subsidized, and have super cheap data plans.. but since MS took too long, Verizon reneged on the agreements..

PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2010 5:52AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
The last Windows Smartphone I had was a Blackjack 2, and it was a POS. It regularly crashed, half the time it didn't show any indication of crashing until I tried to check email or something and it said that whatever I was trying to do wasn't a valid Win32 program. In its crashed state, it was incapable of receiving calls, which meant that I was paying a monthly rate to use a phone that worked half the time unreliably, the other half not at all.

Unless MS can port their supposedly crash-proof Win7 OS to a mobile device, I will never own another MS Smartphone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2010 11:36AM 
Major General

ShadowCat38 wrote:
The last Windows Smartphone I had was a Blackjack 2, and it was a POS. It regularly crashed, half the time it didn't show any indication of crashing until I tried to check email or something and it said that whatever I was trying to do wasn't a valid Win32 program. In its crashed state, it was incapable of receiving calls, which meant that I was paying a monthly rate to use a phone that worked half the time unreliably, the other half not at all.

Unless MS can port their supposedly crash-proof Win7 OS to a mobile device, I will never own another MS Smartphone.

You should read more on Windows Phone 7. It's not based on Windows Mobile kernel and supposed to be much, much better. Tighter controls over hardware and no overlays should give a much better experience.

PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2010 12:20PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
i had a blackjack II, it was admittedly not as good-- until I flashed it to the newest version of windows mobile. After that it was just sluggish.

The Jack I have has 1/3 more ram and storage and double the processor speed.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-08-2010 9:48PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Well my girlfriend and I are supposed to get our iPhone 4s tomorrow. I'll post any issues she or I have with it.

PostPosted: Fri 07-09-2010 3:37AM 
Drowning

and you call yourself an engineer...

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next