Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:36AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ubuntu/Linux gurus?
PostPosted: Wed 09-29-2010 7:23AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
Wanting some help messing around with Linux, specifically Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, netbook version.

Will be happy to offer up some barter goodies for your time. Beer? Burgers? Hot sauce packets?

How many tacos is your time worth?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ubuntu/Linux gurus?
PostPosted: Wed 09-29-2010 8:06AM 
Captain

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
I'll be glad to help if you have any more problems. Did something else pop up after the webcam issues?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 09-29-2010 9:11AM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Post your questions here and someone will be able to help you out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 09-29-2010 10:44AM 
Major General

OT a bit, but what's the actual difference between the netbook version and the full?

PostPosted: Wed 09-29-2010 10:57AM 
Major General

The netbook version has optimizations for the Intel Atom proc. I believe it also has some tweaks for the GUI to work better on a smaller screen. They also left out some packages to make it smaller.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 09-29-2010 2:43PM 
Colonel

I've been tweaking with linux (most often Ubuntu) for several years; going back and forth from windows-only to dual-booting on my laptops. I've never had an issue I couldn't find an answer to on various forum sites.

If you can't find something online, post here and I'm sure the community will be more than happy to point you in the right direction if we can.

PostPosted: Thu 09-30-2010 5:24AM 
Lieutenant

Nothing too major, I just want to learn how to use command line and understand how everything works. I'm a hands-on learner and just reading documentation and how-to's doesn't get the info into my head. I mean, if I were just a basic user, it would be fine and everything in Ubuntu's software repository would probably keep me happy. But I can't resist fucking with stuff 8) And, to effectively fuck with stuff in Linux, you have to understand how to use the command line.

And Chankster is correct, UNR is optimized for Atom proc, itty-bitty screens, and has an even smaller footprint than regular Ubuntu.

So, Koulev, next time we're hogging the couches and you're not working on your usual brainiac stuff, if you're up for it, feel like trying to teach an old dog new tricks?

Or anyone else, for that matter. It might be kinda fun to have a cookout focused around playing with Linux. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-30-2010 10:03AM 
Colonel

This was a resource I first started using when learning command line http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html

My intro to command line stuff started with MUDing (text based game) in high school when my brother and I became server admins for a server we played on all the time

PostPosted: Thu 09-30-2010 11:50AM 
Sergeant

Source: EE Building
As one in a similar situation, I've found it very useful to ditch decorative backgrounds and put up something like this instead (that's a linux command line reference wallpaper, for those of you who like to know what you're clicking on). I believe this is the one I'm currently using. But most of that is for when you know what stuff does, or at least what you want it to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-30-2010 7:28PM 
Lieutenant

Wow, now those^^^ are awesome! Although not very visible on a 10" screen, I'm still gonna save those; I'll definitely use 'em when I have my external monitor hooked in. Thanks!

& dar9q7, that's a good site. Though, as I mentioned, I learn much better by watching and doing, I will go through that site. Thanks!

Profile E-mail