Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 6:15AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Which sport requires more running?
Basketball 95%  95%  [ 47 ]
Volleyball 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Which Sports require the most running (in a game)?
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 10:57AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
I was recently told that a game of volleyball requires more running and jumping than a game of basketball and therefor volleyball would be a better workout.

To me basketball has 100000000000x more running than volleyball does and considering your running all this time your jumps would wear you out even more.

In volleyball you are in a set spot and really dont move much considering you have 6-9 people on a half court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:00AM 
Spanish

Source: Off Campus
I guess it depends on if you're playing 2v2 in volleyball. Also running in sand has an effect. If you are looking for a workout that requires a rediculous amount of running, why not soccer? Or maybe... just go running?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:02AM 
Captain

I guess it would also depend on if your playing 4v4 bball, which I do all the time full court.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:03AM 
Lieutenant General

If you were playing 2 person, sand, volleyball, I would think that basketball would be way easier... On the otherhand, I think 6 person indoor volleyball would be easiest....

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:06AM 
Captain

just so everyone knows a volleyball court is about half the area of a basketball court, add to that the fact that you are only on one side of a volleyball court at a time. a for the purposes of this poll we are talking about 6-9 person indoor volleyball vs. 5on5 full court basketball

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:06AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
If we're going to consider 2v2 volleyball, shouldn't we also consider 1v1, 2v2, ... basketball?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:10AM 
Major

The question was which requires more running, not which is more of a workout right? You run for like 1 second at a time in volleyball. You run up and down a basketball court hundreds of times. I don't see how it's even close.

In terms of overall workout, playing volleyball on sand makes a lot of difference, but I still give the edge to basketball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:23AM 
Brigadier General

Far more sprinting in volleyball, basketball is about 50/50 sprint/jog depending on your position and the way the teams playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 11:27AM 
Captain

i dont call taking 2 steps sprinting, but your entitled to your opinion. the only thing i might agree on is that when volleyball players are moving, their average velocity is higher then when basketball players are moving. the problem is that volleyball players spend 80% of the game standing still

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 12:00PM 
Lieutenant General

In basketball, you rarely ever move/accelerate as much as possible. Starting and stopping, especially if you are doing so as fast as possible, is way harder than jogging twice as far, no contest. If you want the hardest workout just jogging isn't very going to cut it. I am hardly qualified to speak in terms of caloric value though....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 12:13PM 
Colonel

I think it probably depends a lot of the level of a game. To me, a game of soccer or ultimate has a lot more running than either basketball or volleyball, as the field is bigger, and I tend to play those longer.

Frisbee > *

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 12:29PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Kelly Hall
Soccer and basketball you're constantly moving (or at least you should be). I think basketball has the edge in every single way. You're also not taking into account that there are subs in basketball because someone playing the entire game without stopping would be ridiculous. I don't know about Ultimate--guess I should start playing. :lol:

And AJ, running for the sake of running is STUPID. Stop being so STUPID. GodDAMN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 12:31PM 
Major

this is a ludicrous question....LMFAO.

any decently sports intelligent person knows that Basketball is 100x more of a workout than volleyball. not to diss volleyball tho. In basketball, you use all your muscles constantly, are CONSTANTLY sprinting, there really shouldnt be jogging much. Basketball even in 1v1 is way more of a workout than 2v2 beach volleyball. Yes in volleyball you are doing REALLY short sprints and diving a lot, but in basketball, you are doing super long sprints, and will have plenty of opportunity to dive as well.

Basketball workout- constant hard running, many sprints back and forth, turning sharply, staying low in defense, using a ton of coordination, constant moving all over a court which is 2x as big as volleyball.

Volleyball workout- super hard short sprints, many many dives, some coordination to hit the ball over, getting up quickly after diving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 12:41PM 
Lieutenant General

Syria wrote:
this is a ludicrous question....LMFAO.

any decently sports intelligent person knows that Basketball is 100x more of a workout than volleyball. not to diss volleyball tho. In basketball, you use all your muscles constantly, are CONSTANTLY sprinting, there really shouldnt be jogging much. Basketball even in 1v1 is way more of a workout than 2v2 beach volleyball. Yes in volleyball you are doing REALLY short sprints and diving a lot, but in basketball, you are doing super long sprints, and will have plenty of opportunity to dive as well.

Basketball workout- constant hard running, many sprints back and forth, turning sharply, staying low in defense, using a ton of coordination, constant moving all over a court which is 2x as big as volleyball.

Volleyball workout- super hard short sprints, many many dives, some coordination to hit the ball over, getting up quickly after diving.

Have you ever played/watched basketball? You almost never sprint, unless your idea of sprinting is entirely different than mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-21-2006 12:56PM 
Captain

i challenge you to play basketball with me for 20 minutes. i promise you if you dont sprint you will get dominated.

in volleyball you dive for balls/in basketball you dive for balls also
in volleyball you jump high 1 or 2 times every 5 minutes to spike or block/in
basketball you jump high 1 or 2 times per minute for rebounds or to block
shots
in volleyball you sprint 3 feet every once in a while to get a loose ball/in
basketball you sprint 15 feet on cuts, to steal ball, or on fastbreak
where basketball has volleyball beat is that between all the above mentioned
there is constant running

Profile E-mail