Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 6:38PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wilderness Camping Trip
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 2:32AM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
Some friends of mine are tying to find a good place where we can go camping over spring break. We want to be able to canoe or kayek, and be completely on our own in the wilderness. Any suggestions?

500GB WD
DVD +-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE
22 in Dell E228WFP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 1:35PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
Do you want to stay in Missouri, or are you willing to drive to a different state?

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 2:46PM 
Major

Source: Wilson Library
Different state would be fine, probably needs to be closer than say Alaska but whereever

500GB WD
DVD +-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE
22 in Dell E228WFP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 3:24PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
how long do you want to be out for?

if you want to stay local, gasconade is a fair float. depending on where you put in, how much you fish, and how much you paddle, you could spend over a week going from waynesville to vichy. albeit, it's not the most scenic.

how hard core are you wanting to go? like, bear grylls out in the middle of nowhere or still near civilization but in between it's wildnerness? just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 4:35PM 
Major

Source: Bureau of Mines #1
Back about 7 years ago I did a 3 day hike around the Buffalo River area in Arkansas, its fairly scenic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 6:05PM 
Sergeant

Source: Tau Kappa Epsilon
Well its far away but I like Rocky mountain national park. Theres a few national forrests around there too (a little more secluded). If you want advise on where some good camps and hikes are around there let me know I'll give you the info from my last few trips there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12-07-2006 3:11AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
There are lots of trips and trails in Colorado and Utah for just such an excursion. You have to have a good idea of the difficulty of river you can do and how long you want to be "out there." Every summer I normally do a raftin trip down the Colorado from around the Kremling area to El Racho del Rio. It is about a two day trip, maybe three if you really take your time. Hot springs, cliff diving, rapids are all on the short little trip, and it is pretty nice from July to early August.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12-07-2006 3:14AM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Source: Sigma Pi
The current river South of salem missouri is one of the nicest floating rivers you will find in missouri. You can float it all the to Arkansas if you want. I would recommend looking at starting somewhere around Akers ferry and floating to Around Van Buren if you want a couple day float. There is a lot of fishing you can do anf general sight seeing at the springs and caves. Depending on how much you want to paddle it would probably be around a 5 day float but you could either lengthen or shorten it as there are alot of diferent spots spaced 8-20 miles apart that you can either put in or take out at. And my opinion on the gasconade is that it is a muddy streak through cow pastures and looks like a stream of piss running down a dirt road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12-07-2006 12:13PM 
Captain

Source: TJ South
I'd stay away from the Current river, there's way to many people floating it. If you want a nice float in Missouri try the 11 Point or Jacks Fork. If my memory serves me correctly both are rated a AA for scenery.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12-07-2006 1:58PM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Source: Sigma Pi
If he is floating it over spring break there will next to no one on the river. It is only really crowded on weekends during the summer when it is full of tourists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12-07-2006 8:03PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
mwsgh6 wrote:
I'd stay away from the Current river, there's way to many people floating it. If you want a nice float in Missouri try the 11 Point or Jacks Fork. If my memory serves me correctly both are rated a AA for scenery.

Jacks fork is amazing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 12-07-2006 9:26PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
I would say that the New River in Virginia/West Virginia is the most fun i've ever had on a river.

Post subject: Neat Places To Go Over Spring Break
PostPosted: Mon 02-12-2007 12:20AM 
Captain

Source: VPN
You might want to check out my webpage for interesting locations in Missouri. See http://www.rollanet.org/~conorw/cwome Most of these are just as pretty in the winter. Also, crowded river floats won't be problem as the weekend warriors come out only when it is warm. ANY river, even the Meramec, is ok as long you go on anyday but Saturday, preferable a weekend.

Also, my research area is in the Colorado Plateau and I have taken a few trips to the Grand Canyon area. This is a 20-24 hour drive depending on your speed. I highly suggest this area if you are in GOOD shape and want to do some serious hiking in scenic area. Be prepared for changeable weather and be prepared to carry a good supply of drinking water.

Although I prefer the North Rim, it is usually snowed in this time of the year due to the higher elevation. The South Rim is also very pretty and has some well developed trails including the Hermit, Bright Angel, South Kaibab, etc. This will be a trip you won't forget anytime soon. Some pictures are on my research website at http://www.umr.edu/~rogersda/cp_megalandslides Although most of these photos are related to landsliding, you can still get the idea that this is a beautiful place.

Remember to be prepared as several people per month die out there during the peak visitation months. There is something like a 400 page book on all the ways people have died in the Grand Canyon.

at http://www.mst.edu/~cwatkin/cwome

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-12-2007 12:23AM 
Captain

Source: TJ North
well, i know its a far cry, but if lake canoeing is your thing, theres always lakes in minnesota/canada

i've done two trips personally, each over a week and had a great time, but both were summer trips

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: More On Grand Canyon...
PostPosted: Mon 02-12-2007 12:32AM 
Captain

Source: VPN
If you do decide to visit this area, you will need a backcountry permit. These aren't real expensive but you often have to go through hoops and wait in order to get one. The canyon is divided into visitation areas which are only allowed to have a certain number of campers at any given time.

So, you may have to plan your trip around where permits are available at any given time. Plenty of information is available online but you may start at http://www.grandcanyon.com/camping.html

If you do the South Kaibab or Bright Angel Trails, there is always the option of camping or staying in cabins/dorms at Phantom Ranch. This is a beautiful location but often has a LOOOONG waiting list.

at http://www.mst.edu/~cwatkin/cwome

Profile E-mail