Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:18PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Some great places to go to in Autum
PostPosted: Wed 09-12-2007 8:32AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Triangle
Personally I love to make a trip to Elephant Rocks State Park every year during October. Meremac Springs is also very nice this time of year. Anyone else have some good spots?

http://www.aperturescience.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-12-2007 11:28AM 
Sergeant

Source: IT Staff
Are we talking about camping, hiking, backpacking?
If you want to do some day hiking and see some cool stuff, go to Ha Ha Tonka State Park in Camdenton (up on the Lake of the Ozarks). The castle is really cool and the trails go through some really neat areas.
If you want to do some backpacking Paddy Creek Wilderness Area and the Berryman Trail are both great. If you're a real man you can make day hikes out of them. If you want to do some long distance hiking look into the Ozark Trail. There's over 200 miles of connected trail now, so that should keep you occupied.
Some other great day hikes are Meremac SP and the Kaintuck Trail.
I don't do much car camping, mostly hiking (obviously). I'm going to try to hike Bell Mountain this weekend, I hear its one of the best wilderness areas in the state.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-12-2007 2:14PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
if you're going to elephant rocks - johnston shut-ins isn't that far away either and that's always fun. I have to admit, i haven't been since Fall 2004 and i heard somewhere that a landslide had made the area a mess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-14-2007 8:20AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Triangle
amd2800barton wrote:
if you're going to elephant rocks - johnston shut-ins isn't that far away either and that's always fun. I have to admit, i haven't been since Fall 2004 and i heard somewhere that a landslide had made the area a mess.

Does anyone know if it is open to the public yet. I remember that place being really nice before the flood.

http://www.aperturescience.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 09-14-2007 11:47AM 
Sergeant

The Taum Sauk section of the OT is closed. As far as I know there is no camping or hiking allowed in Johnson's Shut-Ins SP either. I do think that you can still hike up Taum Sauk Mt. though.
Some info:
Johnson's Shut-In's SP
Update from the Ozark Trail

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-01-2007 9:53AM 
Major

Source: Bureau of Mines #1
You can still hike Taum Sauk, but I believe the trail from Taum Sauk to Johnson is closed. I thought Johnson reopened, but still can't hike or camp, there is a walkway to the Shut-Ins though.

I did the South loop, at Roby, of Paddy Creek in early summer, I think it was supposed to be 7 miles or so. Ended up being 12.3 but I did backtrack probably 3/4 of a mile in one area because I screwed up, still doesn't explain the ~5 mile discrepancy. I think the full loop is supposed to be 17 or so (may end up at 20+). I'm wanting to do that as an overnight sometime this fall.

For a short hike you can go up to Painted Rock, which is off 133 south of Jeff City a bit (few miles southwest of the 133/63 intersection). I'm not sure how far it is, but it isn't more than 4-5 miles, probably much closer to 3. It has a couple good overlooks of the Osage River.

There are several miles of trails south of Newburg. The Mill Creek trail is decent. Have to deal with equestrian traffic though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-01-2007 12:56PM 
Captain

Source: TJ South
I'm pretty sure the Shut-Ins reopened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-02-2007 7:41AM 
Sergeant

Just did some work on the trail from Bell Mt to Johnson's Shut-Ins this past weekend. Part of it was hit by the tornado they had a while back but its cleaned out well enough that you can hike it (after we got done with it at least). We stopped at Highway N, which runs through JSI, and there was a sign across the road saying that part of the trail past there was closed. If you want to hike it its probably doable but don't whine to me if you get caught and slapped with a fine. I think the rest of JSI is open though. I believe they built a new boardwalk down to the Shut-Ins, which I've heard are quite different than they used to be.
On a side note, Bell Mt. is probably one of the best places I've hiked in the state. The view from the summit is quite spectacular. Also, the trail from Bell Mt. to JSI has a bunch of great glades that have really good views as well. Definitely worth the 1:45-2 hr drive to get there.

Adam