mwsgh6 wrote:
cutting my toothbrush in half before drilling the handle full of holes

Good times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: hiking
PostPosted: Sun 03-23-2008 10:51AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Well lets start a list of all those interested in going sometime in mid-April when the weathers better and before finals start coming. What sounds like the best place to try out?

1: Worseley :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 5:08AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
Worseley wrote:
Well lets start a list of all those interested in going sometime in mid-April when the weathers better and before finals start coming. What sounds like the best place to try out?

1: Worseley :lol:

Hell, given the weekend I'd throw in.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.

PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 4:06PM 
Sergeant

I'd be down for a hike in mid-April.

Let me know a mileage you have in mind and I can start thinking of places to go.

And I'll admit to cutting the handle off of my toothbrush. And making my own down quilt, poncho-tarp, stove, jackets, and a couple of other things. Though to be perfectly honest, I don't even bring a toothbrush most of the time...

Adam

PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 5:17PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I think something semi-short would be the best. Maybe 12-18 miles? a nice 2 day hike is what I'd enjoy. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed 03-26-2008 10:34AM 
Brigadier General

I'm probably in. But since I'm a grad student, and just started my own business, no promises.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Wed 03-26-2008 6:54PM 
Captain

Quote:
And I'll admit to cutting the handle off of my toothbrush. And making my own down quilt, poncho-tarp, stove, jackets, and a couple of other things. Though to be perfectly honest, I don't even bring a toothbrush most of the time...

Alcohol burning beer can stoves are the way to go.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

PostPosted: Thu 03-27-2008 1:26AM 
bertowned
bertowned

lol i tried making one of those. it sucked, so i gave up.

PostPosted: Thu 03-27-2008 9:51AM 
Brigadier General

i went down to do taum sauk to johnson's shut-in but the trail was still closed after the ameren incident. so i chose to do berryman instead. it wasn't that bad of a hike and had some pretty nice areas. only time i saw another sign of life was when i took a break at the horse trough, a group of guys passed my on their quads. i got to brazil at the end of the day and camped for the night. finished the next day. some pics:

mina sauk falls
on taum sauk overlooking the mountains
one of many little creeks in berryman
trail through the mark twain nat'l forest
open meadow in berryman
brazil rec area on the north end of berryman

i hate april because i'm working every weekend. i'll just have to wait until schools finished before i can go out again.

PostPosted: Sun 03-30-2008 6:27PM 
Sergeant

So my April weekends filled up fast, and the only two weekends I might be able to do a hike is next weekend, the 5th, or the weekend after, the 12th. If anyone is interested in going either of those weekends let me know and we can try to get something scheduled. Also, I could probably do the first weekend in May. I'm not sure when finals are but I don't really care either,

12-18 miles sounds fine, though I'm always down for more mileage if anyone is willing. Like I said, let me know if you're interested in hiking either of the next two weekends and we can start finding somewhere to go.

Adam

PostPosted: Mon 03-31-2008 9:43PM 
Sergeant

Well, I went ahead and made some preliminary plans for a hike this weekend.

I'm going to do the stretch of the Ozark Trail from Council Bluff Lake to Bell Mt. and back. Overall it looks like it will be around 40 miles. If someone joins me we could park a car at each end and make a 20-ish mile hike out of it. We could do it in a day or stretch it out, depending on what you are up for.

The Ozark Trail Association recently launched a pretty nice trip planner if anyone is interested. You can plan anything from dayhikes to week long trips and even reserve a shuttle (for a price). It has maps and descriptions as well.

Adam

PostPosted: Wed 04-02-2008 8:07AM 
Brigadier General

Well i'm up at Ohio State University right now but I'll be back on the 13th. So I wont be able to join you this or next weekend. The first weekend of May works for me. The weekend of the 19th I'm actually going alligator wrestling and some kind of Lion training thing. My girlfriends brother works for a private zoo of some sort and i guess thats one of the perks of the job.

So unless a alligator or Lion gets me The first of May works for me :lol:

PostPosted: Thu 04-03-2008 12:15PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Harris Hall
cool stuff aroth.

I stopped in a barnes and noble and browesed the missouri section. i saw the OTA published a book and had a listing of all the "hot spots" of the OT. i'll probably pick it up later on.

Since we are on the subject of hiking, i'm seriously considering a road trip this summer which would involve hiking, sightseeing, etc. once i get my motorcycle running, i figure i just strap on what camping stuff i can hold and take off. i don't want to go cross-country but i'd live to hit up the west, at least wyoming area. or, if anyone know's of some great places to the east. i'd just like to go west becaues missouri is the farthest west i've been so far. anyone know of some nice places to hit up? i've tried looking online and most of the places i try to look at require a payment.

PostPosted: Mon 04-07-2008 11:09AM 
Sergeant

Source: University Center
You all missed a great day for hiking on Saturday.

The trail was still a little wet in places but overall it was in great shape and the weather couldn't have been any better. Mike and I started at Council Bluff around 8:15 AM and finished up at Bell Mt. around 6:30 PM. The view from Bell is exceptional, and if you only have time to do one hike, I recommend you go there. It was a little crowded at the top, with 5 people being camped out there, but Bell always draws a crowd on nice weekends. The only real issues we had were being a little out-of-shape and having to cross knee-deep water that was flowing pretty fast, but this stretch of trail is one of the best I've been on so it was totally worth it.

I won't be able to lead another hike until May, but if anyone wants help planning a trip or general suggestions on where to go let me know.

Adam