CVT 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
WTF is a transmission? 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Other (please specify) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 48
 Post subject: Transmission Preference
PostPosted: Fri 04-03-2009 7:13PM 
Major

Source: TJ South
Jeff and I started talking about this in IRC and I thought it would make a good topic.

Personally I prefer manual. Being able to choose my own gear, get better gas mileage(on older cars), and be able to push start a car are definite positives.

-6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Ram
-eVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB Video Card
-Razer Barracuda 7.1 Sound Card
-8 HD's totaling 5820GB Storage
-Corsair 1000HX 1000W PSU

Post subject: Re: Transmission Preference
PostPosted: Fri 04-03-2009 7:14PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Who is Jeff?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 04-03-2009 7:20PM 
Drowning

Source: McNutt Hall
i like manuals because you can go faster when you want to, get better gas mileage when you want to, and it keeps you more connected to what you are doing and make less mistakes. I tend to get more tired while driving with an automatic

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 04-03-2009 7:27PM 
Major

Source: TJ South
I definitely agree with you there.

PostPosted: Fri 04-03-2009 10:47PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: Off Campus
Don't really have a preference anymore. I used to like to be in absolute control, but nowadays it's to the point where when I'm driving a stick it's like an automatic anyways.

I think I've made the decision that I can deal with a normal, non performance driven car in exchange for the fact that motorcycling is kickass.

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 6:53AM 
Lieutenant

benm wrote:
I think I've made the decision that I can deal with a normal, non performance driven car in exchange for the fact that motorcycling is kickass.

That's an interesting comment, as motorcycling has nearly the opposite effect for me. I always enjoyed driving, and still do, but every time I get back in my truck after riding my motorcycle, it's a bit underwhelming in that I have less control, less power, fewer maneuvering options, etc. (my truck is a manual and has at least a decent size engine - 4.0L V6). Which is why I've decided that I want to eventually get a quick little (manual transmission) sports car for daily driving when I can't ride the motorcycle. That way driving won't be such a drag whenever I can't take the motorcycle.

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 9:02AM 
post whore
post whore

Inquizator wrote:
benm wrote:

That's an interesting comment, as motorcycling has nearly the opposite effect for me. I always enjoyed driving, and still do, but every time I get back in my truck after riding my motorcycle, it's a bit underwhelming in that I have less control, less power, fewer maneuvering options, etc. (my truck is a manual and has at least a decent size engine - 4.0L V6). Which is why I've decided that I want to eventually get a quick little (manual transmission) sports car for daily driving when I can't ride the motorcycle. That way driving won't be such a drag whenever I can't take the motorcycle.

Hmm. I'm told that I drive like a maniac in my car after spending long amounts of time on my bike... but usually to me it feels slower and more tame than my usual driving. So the motorcycle has the same effect on me too, I guess I can just deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 12:54PM 
Major General

Manual. I was driving an automatic rental for the past 3 weeks since I was in an accident and had to wait for my insurance company to total my car and pay my claim. Just got my new car, another manual, last night. Driving an automatic sucked. It's just so boring

Plus, the great thing about driving a manual is that no one in my family asks to borrow my car because they don't know how to drive it. :D

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 4:05PM 
awesome yet humble

I drive a semi-automatic and I always enjoy driving it. Whenever I feel like zoning out when I'm driving, I have that option. Whenever I feel like having more control over my speeds and acceleration, I have that option too. I feel like it's the best of both worlds.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 5:11PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ North
Shoot, I should have voted for CVT, where is the love?

A friend of mine put a CVT on his gokart, with a manual controller for it, that thing was a ton of fun to zip around on. Only complaint is I don't trust the upper torque limits.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 6:22PM 
Drowning

el_lorenzo wrote:
I drive a semi-automatic and I always enjoy driving it. Whenever I feel like zoning out when I'm driving, I have that option. Whenever I feel like having more control over my speeds and acceleration, I have that option too. I feel like it's the best of both worlds.

its actually the worst of both

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 04-04-2009 9:33PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:
el_lorenzo wrote:

its actually the worst of both

Ditto. Just about every semi-automatic I've driven is garbage. The auto mode is plain old auto, and the manual mode is crap and takes forever to change gears when you tell it to and they don't let you do anything fun. I did test drive a Volkswagen GTI with VW's semi-auto DSG transmission which is their dual clutch setup and it was pretty good and it does shift amazingly fast, something like 8 ms which is faster than any human can shift a manual, but at the end of the day, it's still an auto and I bought a manual GTI and have no regrets.

I guess if you just want to drive an automatic and occasionally use manual mode to drop a couple gears and pass someone, they're not bad. But if you want the performance, gas mileage, control or fun of a manual, then just get a manual. The semi-autos don't come close.

PostPosted: Sun 04-05-2009 9:57AM 
Major General

manual ftw.

I get so bored and complacent when driving an automatic that I find myself driving like a grandma, under the speed limit and everything.

PostPosted: Sun 04-05-2009 12:01PM 
Major

Yay, I'm so happy. I just got a new car that actually runs and idles. My only requirement was that it was a stick. Happy times. 1994 Subaru Legacy L AWD for $800.

PostPosted: Tue 04-07-2009 2:36AM 
Major

yeah, manuals all the way. I've owned two cars so far, the first a 5-speed, my current one a 6. Love it! And several months ago my flywheel and starter went out... Luckily our driveway is sloped enough that I could let it roll backward into the street and roll-start it in reverse. Did that for a couple weeks when it would intermittently refuse to start otherwise until I finally had to take it in for repair.

Another big advantage of the manual in my opinion is winter weather driving. Engine braking allows you to stay off your brakes and not lock them up on ice, as well as keeping the spinning of the tires under control in that weather.... Wheelspin can quickly get out of hand with an auto and you never really know how fast they're spinning. Manuals you seem to know what's going on where the tires hit the road a lot more.