Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:09AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 05-01-2007 9:42PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
SilverRaven83 wrote:

I will ignore your organization just as I have always ignored the Cristian organization and any other organization I am not interested in. The point of the article is to point out that both sides are going about things the exact same way. Much as you are so defensive of your group that you did not correctly read into the paper.

Then do so. Why would I care? The group isn't being formed anyway. This is all hypothetical.

SilverRaven83 wrote:

All things considered the point still stands. Christians and atheist use signs as a means of "informing" just as they use pamphlets.

Informing what? Any sign that would be used might end up at a table in havener center on a pro day just to spark a little interest. Just something with the name and a logo with it, and many orgs will help out with that. Tis all. What are you talking about? A pamphlet is a persuasive thing. A name sign is not.

Alright, I'm done with this thread. Interesting experiment and I thank you all for your opinions on this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 05-02-2007 5:53AM 
Lieutenant

Source: CompSci Building
bagvwf wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, I do believe one exists here on campus. Something about "The Brights" or something. I'm not entirely sure what their stand is, but I believe they share certain points of view with Scientology, with regards to the actualization of religion and belief. Someone formerly on these boards was a member of this group.

I BEEN TOLD WE DONE BEEN MENTIONED HERE, HAW HAW

http://civilbrights.net/

http://civilbrights.net/TheFirstConference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 05-02-2007 10:49AM 
Major

Source: EMan Building
calculusninja wrote:
Then do so. Why would I care?

I was not trying to deny your group my membership. The reason I stated that I would not join your group or a christian group is to show my impartiality.

calculusninja wrote:
The group isn't being formed anyway. This is all hypothetical.

Which is why I wonder why you are getting so worked up about this.

calculusninja wrote:
Informing what? Any sign that would be used might end up at a table in havener center on a pro day just to spark a little interest. Just something with the name and a logo with it, and many orgs will help out with that. Tis all. What are you talking about? A pamphlet is a persuasive thing. A name sign is not.

Ok first of a hypothetical sign sitting at a hypothetical havener table is used to hypothetically inform. I am sure that if someone hypothetically came over to your hypothetical table and asked you a hypothetical question, they would hypothetically get a not persuasive hypothetical objective answer every time. Hypothetically speaking that is...

Next. Stop flattering yourself. This is not all about your little hypothetical club. I simply used your "experiment" as an example. If you are claiming that no Aethiest group has ever displayed a persuasive sign then you have more problems then I am prepared to deal with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 05-02-2007 2:56PM 
Colonel

SilverRaven83 wrote:

Ok first of a hypothetical sign sitting at a hypothetical havener table is used to hypothetically inform. I am sure that if someone hypothetically came over to your hypothetical table and asked you a hypothetical question, they would hypothetically get a not persuasive hypothetical objective answer every time. Hypothetically speaking that is...

Next. Stop flattering yourself. This is not all about your little hypothetical club. I simply used your "experiment" as an example. If you are claiming that no Aethiest group has ever displayed a persuasive sign then you have more problems then I am prepared to deal with.

I wonder who is getting worked up? I've simply stated my ideas and am defending them calmly and orderly as I should. I might ask why you're spending so much time trying to knock down something that doesn't exist in the first place... This must have some sort of personal significance to you. I understand.

Now I feel like I'm grading someone's logic homework. lol. :) But what you're saying intrigues me, so I'll pursue it even though I said I was finished.

I agree with the first sentence as long as "inform" means "to make one aware of the group's existence." If that's not the case, please provide some argument for that. I'm guessing the rest is an attempt at sarcasm, but expand on that a bit:

Why would a person approach me in the first place unless they have interest in the supposed club? I'm not sure what kind of question this person would be asking. A philosophical question? The only purpose of such a question is to learn my opinion (since there is no real answer), and that they would receive.

The last sentence is a bit odd. You're taking something I never said and basing a claim that I have mental issues from it. Saying someone has mental issues because they would disagree with you is not the best persuasive strategy, especially in the case where you have (mistakenly) assumed that they disagree with your opinion.

let me know what ya think.
calcninja

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 05-02-2007 9:37PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
calculusninja wrote:
I wonder who is getting worked up? I've simply stated my ideas and am defending them calmly and orderly as I should.

You are correct, that is if your ideas where ever under attack. The point I am attempting to make is that I do not care about your club. Real or hypothetical I do not care. It was merely an example I used to prove a much bigger phenomenon. I am not sure where I was gettin so worked up, but if thats what gets you through the night go right ahead and run with it.

calculusninja wrote:
I might ask why you're spending so much time trying to knock down something that doesn't exist in the first place... This must have some sort of personal significance to you. I understand.

You are just hell bent on proving that I care about this club. The only significance that you and your ideas hold to me is that they prove a psychological phenomenon that was written about in my paper.

calculusninja wrote:
Why would a person approach me in the first place unless they have interest in the supposed club? I'm not sure what kind of question this person would be asking. A philosophical question?

I am guessing much for the same reasons that one would approach a table of christians with an informative sign put up.

calculusninja wrote:
The last sentence is a bit odd. You're taking something I never said and basing a claim that I have mental issues from it. Saying someone has mental issues because they would disagree with you is not the best persuasive strategy, especially in the case where you have (mistakenly) assumed that they disagree with your opinion.

Ok, try to keep up with me on this one. Your club matters not to me. The process by which aetheist try to recruit is the exact same as the process as the process christians use to recruit. Instead of building their case they degrade the case of the other side. Would your club have followed suit? I don't know. I don't care. You are taking something not even directed at you personally.

Yes, I would call anyone who honestly believes that no aethiest has ever posted a persuasive sign mentally deficient. If you fall in that category I am sorry. Is it the way to make a persuasive argument? I don't care I am not trying to persuade you of anything other they you are reading into my post incorrectly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 05-02-2007 10:35PM 
Gun Hater

Source: TJ South
calculusninja wrote:
That's the idea. Because non-traditional viewpoints are more individualistic, you could say that each of us has our own 'religion' centered around what we believe personally.

haha, making a group about being individualistiv. thats funny.

ben laden wrote:
One guy tried to hand me a bible once.

That's the day I killed a man...

ben, i got you a present. i'll try to remember to give it to you.

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05-03-2007 12:06AM 
Sergeant

I'm a Buddhist... which is a non-theistic religion. In the whole debate, i tend to side with atheist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05-03-2007 1:31AM 
Colonel

SilverRaven83 wrote:
calculusninja wrote:
Why would a person approach me in the first place unless they have interest in the supposed club? I'm not sure what kind of question this person would be asking. A philosophical question?

I am guessing much for the same reasons that one would approach a table of christians with an informative sign put up.

If I were a christian of the same denomination as announced on the sign, I might ask where meetings are held and whatnot. It's a lot more black and white: you're part of the catholic church or you aren't. What do you guys do? Have prayer meetings and hold events? (or whatever). Oh. That (does/does not) interest me.

But something different, say UMR Freethinkers... I guess it would be about the same. What do you guys do? Talk about non-traditional viewpoints and share ideas with one another, it might include atheism, agnosticism, or any individualized spiritual theories. If you want you can come talk about what you believe and its importance to you. What is the problem with this? I don't understand.

SilverRaven83 wrote:
Ok, try to keep up with me on this one. Your club matters not to me. yada yada... You are taking something not even directed at you personally.

Well sorry, that's what this entire thread is about. Just figured you were making some point along those lines. So what was the point of it?

Also, I never said that no atheist has ever put up a persuasive sign. Where did this come from? It's lovely that you're diagnosing people's mental problems except that I'm not sure how it even came into play.

So to say once more: atheism is not a religion. I've never heard of an atheist trying to recruit someone. Maybe it happens, I don't know. There is no definite belief, just a weak set of coincidental intersections of thought. The most common of which is the notion that "god" is a fictional character that has been instilled in people's minds by others.

And yes, some of us are proud to not talk to an imaginary man, because to many people it is silly. But there is so much more to the story than the belief in a god. So many questions to be answered by religion, and when you don't have religion to tell you what to think, you form your own opinions. That is why I think the atheist/agnostic have the widest variety of viewpoints to offer.

This is a point I think people are misunderstanding. I sincerely doubt a group for atheists would function like a group for the religious, because atheism is not a religion, it's a completely different way of thinking that is not the same for any two people.

And for this I laugh at the dramatic tales of those evil atheists forming their cult and plotting an uprising against the religious and eating babies, or however it goes. :D In reality, a good discussion on the complexities of evolution would interest many atheists more than talking about why we think christians are beneath us (/sarcasm), or whatever you guys think we talk about. hehe.

I'm glad we're having this discussion. It's a good learning experience. Also, it's something constructive to do.
calcninja

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05-03-2007 10:31AM 
Major

calculusninja wrote:
If I were a christian of the same denomination as announced on the sign, I might ask where meetings are held and whatnot. It's a lot more black and white: you're part of the catholic church or you aren't. What do you guys do? Have prayer meetings and hold events? (or whatever). Oh. That (does/does not) interest me.

But something different, say UMR Freethinkers... I guess it would be about the same. What do you guys do? Talk about non-traditional viewpoints and share ideas with one another, it might include atheism, agnosticism, or any individualized spiritual theories. If you want you can come talk about what you believe and its importance to you. What is the problem with this? I don't understand.

I and do not understand the point of those two paragraphs. I agree a freethinkers club would go over well. I have stated that before.

calculusninja wrote:
Well sorry, that's what this entire thread is about. Just figured you were making some point along those lines. So what was the point of it?

Bummy wrote something on page one about a religion against religion. My paper expands on that idea. Whether that includes your hypothetical group or not is a decision you have made for yourself and then worked into my paper. I simply used members who have voiced a negative or positive opinion about your group as proof that a psychological phenomenon is correct.

calculusninja wrote:
Also, I never said that no atheist has ever put up a persuasive sign. Where did this come from? It's lovely that you're diagnosing people's mental problems except that I'm not sure how it even came into play.

Ok, I was trying to be snide and subtle but apparently that is a bit much for a logic grader. You said that just because your group put a sign out does not mean that you were trying to persuade people. I said that I did not give two shits about your group and then stated that if you thought that the same principle applied to the bigger picture, this includes aetheist and christians, then you have the I.Q. of a doorknob. This is relevant because I was referring to the bigger picture.

calculusninja wrote:
So to say once more: atheism is not a religion. I've never heard of an atheist trying to recruit someone. Maybe it happens, I don't know.

TheWebsiteBelow wrote:
There's an atheist Internet recruiting campaign, atheist summer camps and several bestselling books -- including "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Politics/stor ... 057&page=1

Glad I could put that one to rest for you.

calculusninja wrote:
This is a point I think people are misunderstanding. I sincerely doubt a group for atheists would function like a group for the religious, because atheism is not a religion, it's a completely different way of thinking that is not the same for any two people.

Again see above. All three techniques are used by christians as well. Not to mention the number of sites I had to go through that said something to the affect of, "We tired of the christians killing so we gonna kill 'em all!" or "We tired of the atheist killing so we gonna kill 'em all."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fine, new atheism thread
PostPosted: Sat 05-01-2010 4:33PM 
Private

Source: Off Campus
Myself being atheist, I do find it fairly funny how there is a club forming for atheists. Not for the fact that it's atheist, but the content of it. My main thing is... Well what would we talk about. I can imagine it. Everyone comes in, there are cookies and soda by the wall, and we all sit down to talk. Then we realize... we don't have to talk about shit! So the meeting lasts a total of 2 1/2 minutes and all 3 of us go home. why only 3? Because the others stopped going to church because it's like church, and so why the fuck stand up and walk to talk about a disbelief. I just find the picture hilarious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 05-01-2010 4:54PM 
awesome yet humble

Do atheists believe in zombies? If they do, watch out! Here comes a zombie thread back from the dead!

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Sat 05-01-2010 5:37PM 
Captain

The Christian and Islamic clubs don't exactly talk about anything in particular. The only thing they do that is related to their religion is worshiping and praying together. That's about it.

The best thing you can do is organize and become a socializing group. Play Rockband, organize multiplayer FPS games, LAN parties, food outings, etc.

Also, I'm agnostic. Any place for me in this group?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 05-01-2010 6:51PM 
Drowning

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4