* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 4:45AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 2:41PM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST Wireless
jthxv wrote:
ACTUALLY, I believe by the letter of the law, you DO need a LTC in order to legally carry a blade longer than 4"

MO Statute wrote:
(10) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

Emphasis mine.

Also:
Quote:
4. Subdivisions (1), ... of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement ... or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

And from the UMRPD website:
Quote:
2. Firearms and explosives are prohibited on campus ... . Knives and other weapons are subject to local ordinances and state statutes

Come to your own conclusions.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 2:53PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
I don't see any info on how to get a concealed to carry permit for non firearms and what those requirements are. There might not be a permit to carry a concealed weapon other than a firearm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 8:04PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
It's only one permit, and it exempts you from subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of 573.030.1 including the weapons listed there. You can't get an endorsement on your DL til you're 23, but MO recognizes all other states, most of which issue at 21 but some as early as 18. I carried on a FL license for three years before I got a MO license (traveling to Michigan, which only recognizes a permit from your home state - my FL license would have covered me if I lived in FL). My wife carried on a UT license for over a year before she turned 23 and got her MO license.

I HAVE (legally, and within university policy) carried large knives on campus, concealed. It's uncomfortable, and impractical. I exercise other options (mostly exercise, as in run-to-my-car) now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 8:54PM 
Major

Hmm....just so I'm sure I'm following this correctly (and if I'm not, please clarify), so if you get a concealed carry permit for a handgun, it also permits you to carry concealed knives over 4 inches in length, as well?

The reason I'm curious is I have a friend with a bad knee who sometimes uses a cane, so as a B-day gift this year I got him a decorative cane with a short sword/knife blade hidden inside. Problem being, I'm not sure he can legally use the thing even as a cane without risk of getting arrested for it, and he did a cursory check of MO law and didn't see anything about getting a concealed carry permit for knives/swords.....

Anyone know how/if he can use this thing as a cane legally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-28-2007 9:05PM 
Lieutenant General

Blue-Mage wrote:
Hmm....just so I'm sure I'm following this correctly (and if I'm not, please clarify), so if you get a concealed carry permit for a handgun, it also permits you to carry concealed knives over 4 inches in length, as well?

The reason I'm curious is I have a friend with a bad knee who sometimes uses a cane, so as a B-day gift this year I got him a decorative cane with a short sword/knife blade hidden inside. Problem being, I'm not sure he can legally use the thing even as a cane without risk of getting arrested for it, and he did a cursory check of MO law and didn't see anything about getting a concealed carry permit for knives/swords.....

Anyone know how/if he can use this thing as a cane legally?

I don't KNOW anything, but I would use the argument that it WASN'T concealed anymore than a knife in any other scabbard would be. The blade was just put into a scabbard for safety(and to protect the blade)....

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-29-2007 8:37AM 
Brigadier General

Cane swords are often considered differently than other knives/swords because they are disguised as everyday objects. You might want to check them out before using one. I believe even possession of them is banned in California (heck, half the things I own are illegal in California).

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap571.htm

Is the entire chapter of weapons law in MO. Search for cane sword, cane, sword, etc. If you don't find anything... then I would assume (of course, it won't be my butt in jail if I'm wrong) that it would be the same as any other concealed knife over 4 inches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-29-2007 7:34PM 
Major

No mention of canes....and the permits section mentions concealed carry weapons....so again, if you have a concealed carry permit, does that apply to knives as well as guns? It mentions about knives over 4 inches being illegal to conceal, but I didn't see any mention about permits as they pertain to knives....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-29-2007 7:39PM 
Lieutenant General

Blue-Mage wrote:
No mention of canes....and the permits section mentions concealed carry weapons....so again, if you have a concealed carry permit, does that apply to knives as well as guns? It mentions about knives over 4 inches being illegal to conceal, but I didn't see any mention about permits as they pertain to knives....

I believe that is because in MO, knives under four inches have no regulations on them. Other state have other laws, keep that in mind. A concealed weapons permit I think legalizes you to carry ANYTHING that is considered a weapon concealed.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-30-2007 9:30AM 
Brigadier General

There are two schools of thought on whether the CCW endorsement (or identically, a license from another state) authorizes you to carry any weapon, or just a handgun.

571.030. wrote:
4. Subdivisions (1), ... of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement ... or a valid permit or endorsement ... issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.
which exempts you from:
571.030. wrote:
1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

However,
571.107. wrote:
A concealed carry endorsement ... shall authorize the person in whose name the permit ... is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No ... concealed carry endorsement ... shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into: {list of prohibited locations}

The first red highlighted section would appear to indicate that, were it not for the section quoted above that, the CCW authorizes you only to carry a firearm, and not a baton or knife. However, the second red highlighted section would appear to indicate that it is lawful to carry knives, batons, and other non-firearm weapons into prohibited locations.

That has not been clarified in the law. It's on the legislative agenda for next year.