All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Anti-Union Group Offers 'Worst' Teachers $10G to Quit
PostPosted: Thu 04-03-2008 12:34PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: VPN
Altaica wrote:
FlamingZelda wrote:
My point however is that even though he was a horrible teacher, there was no one else to take his place. We have a shortage of teachers right now and paying teachers to quit is just a bad idea--even if they suck face.

We have a shortage of people willing to teach at the going rate, not a shortage of people capable of teaching effectively. Not to trivialize the matter, but it's all supply and demand. Normally the wage is determined by the supply and demand of the labor market. However, when you get into a market that is not purely competitive (ie. education) this is unfortunately not the case. I'm sure we'd all love to say that teachers don't care what they make, they're just there for the students, but that's bullshit. They have families, they have needs, they have desires.

Keeping bad people around just because there's "no one" to take over is not going to help the situation. In fact, I don't see how it could do anything but just make things worse. Perhaps if we were to fire all the bad teachers, perhaps if we were to increase funding to start paying teachers what they deserve (the good ones anyway), perhaps if we were to get rid of No Child Left Behind and all these other worthless requirements... then maybe, just maybe the system would work out. Like that will ever happen though, heh...