* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:02AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Top 5 Reasons It Sucks to Be an Engineering Student
PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 7:41AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
Quote:
For many students, earning a degree in engineering is less than enjoyable and far from what they expected. Here are our biggest complaints about the educational rite of passage. Of course, they are sweeping generalizations. Feel free to disagree.

5. Awful Textbooks
Thick, dry, black and white manuscripts are rarely a source of inspiration and sometimes can cause loads of confusion. Often, the text is poorly written and interrupted by lengthy equations with symbols that are different from those used by the professor during lectures.

4. Professors are Rarely Encouraging
During each class, a professor that would rather be tending to his research will waltz up to a blackboard or overhead projector and scribble out equations for an hour without uttering a single sentence to create some excitement.

3. Dearth of Quality Counseling
College students may not have a sense for how to build their resume and they might be clueless about the variety of career opportunities that await them. Unfortunately, some academic advisers do little more than post fliers about internships and hand out a checklist of classes to take. They should make some projections about the future job market, learn about the interests of each young scholar, and offer them tailored advice for how to best prepare themselves.

2. Other Disciplines Have Inflated Grades
Brilliant engineering students may earn surprisingly low grades while slackers in other departments score straight As for writing book reports and throwing together papers about their favorite zombie films.

Some professors view undergraduate education as a type of natural selection, but their analogy is flawed. Many of the brightest students may struggle while mediocre scholars can earn top scores because they have a larger group of supportive friends to or more time to dedicate to studying.

1. Every Assignment Feels the Same
Nearly every homework assignment and test question is a math problem. Only a few courses require creativity or offer hands-on experience.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008 ... ons-i.html

Post subject: Re: Top 5 Reasons It Sucks to Be an Engineering Student
PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 11:15AM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

5. Is a text book on structural analysis supposed to be inspiring????

4. Professors here are pretty good though, I disagree with that one.

3. the COC and advisors for me and my friends have done their jobs

2. Maybe english majors are just smarter than us....

1. Most assignments are the same...most jobs are the same...it works for me.

PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 6:46PM 
Colonel

I bash engineers all the time, but there's not much truth to this list. At least I don't think so?

PostPosted: Tue 03-25-2008 7:48PM 
Major General

Source: VPN
I think probably ever major on earth can fit this list in at least one course. Engineers may fit it more often than most, but I can't say that I have. Any Chemistry course however.....

PostPosted: Wed 03-26-2008 3:26PM 
Brigadier General

Source: VPN
I saw this on digg. It wasn't funny and mostly sounds like someone needs to drop out and quit whining.

I'm especially going to disagree with the counseling issue.

The COC does a great job at bringing companies here to recruit. Academic advisors' role is to help you get from point A to point B (from no degree to having a degree). There are also any number of professional societies on campus that have meetings to discuss opportunities available, in fact at S&T, going to any four of these meetings is a required portion of BE 10.

So yeah, engineering is hard, but that is why we get paid so much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-26-2008 5:45PM 
post whore
post whore

I know we all hear our COC spout shit about being the largest/best recruiting event in the nation... but it turns out they're not spouting shit.

ACM had a few companies up for dinner around the career fair, and one of the companies from California (NAVAIR) said that Rolla has a bigger/better career fair with more companies than any other school they go to... including UCLA. So yeah... our COC is pretty good as far as getting us jobs / opportunities goes.

And... every Top X Reasons/Things/etc list on Digg is usually an obvious attempt to get traffic to a site for ad hits, so don't be surprised that they're shitty and that they cause an uproar - that gets them more traffic so it makes sense to do it that way...