All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Say no to Pikes
PostPosted: Thu 05-08-2008 12:33PM 
Major General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/Jan/1 ... ppa-alpha/
Quote:
UT investigating alleged hazing by Pi Kappa Alpha

The University of Tennessee is investigating alleged hazing by the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity after three students were reported hospitalized on Monday with "fairly serious illnesses," a UT spokeswoman said this afternoon.

Student privacy policy prevents UT from sharing what illnesses the students contracted, spokeswoman Karen Collins said.

The three students are pledges with the fraternity, according to a family member of one of the students who asked not to be quoted.

UT takes seriously any allegation or indication of hazing and has strict policies that prohibit it as well as educational programs to prevent it, Collins said.

"We need to be careful not to rush to judgement at this point," she said. "A thorough investigation is underway to determine the facts and if any further action is necessary."

Fraternity members at Pi Kappa Alpha declined to comment this evening.

More details as they develop online and in tomorrow's News Sentinel.

© 2008, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/07/tul ... newssearch
Quote:
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Ten fraternity members at Tulane University face criminal charges in an alleged hazing incident in which pledges were repeatedly burned with hot water, cayenne pepper and vinegar, police said.

Tulane University has suspended the Pi Kappa Alpha chapter, a spokesman says.

Two pledges were treated at a hospital for severe burns resulting from the April 25 incident at the Pi Kappa Alpha house, authorities said.

Seven students made their first appearance in court Wednesday and were released on their own recognizance, said Dalton Saywoir Jr., spokesman for the Orleans Parish District Attorney's office. It was unclear whether the three remaining students had been arrested or surrendered to police.

The arrested students range in age from 20 to 22. All 10 students face charges of aggravated second-degree battery, New Orleans and Tulane police said in a statement.

New Orleans attorney Frank D'Amico Jr., who represents one of the two pledges severely burned, said it happened at a "Hell Night" ritual involving the 10-member pledge class.

"What they were doing was burning the young men," he said. Fraternity brothers were said to have used boiling water containing pepper spray and a "crab boil" seasoning mixture containing cayenne pepper. The water was poured on the pledges' backs, he said.

"The ones who screamed first didn't get burned as badly," he said. But as the evening wore on and the water grew hotter and hotter, the ones who had not screamed were severely burned.

D'Amico said his client, who was attending Tulane on scholarship, suffered second- and third-degree burns to his back, chest, buttocks and genitals. He is "bandaged up," D'Amico said, and must have twice-daily burn treatments. The young man is unable to travel or take his exams and is attempting to negotiate with Tulane on postponing them, he said.

The young man is "obviously extremely traumatized," D'Amico said.

Tulane University has suspended the Pi Kappa Alpha chapter and will investigate the incident in accordance with its anti-hazing policy, school spokesman Michael Strecker said in a statement.

"The university has zero tolerance for any type of hazing or other incident which can potentially endanger the well-being of any student," the statement said. "Any fraternity member found to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct will be held accountable."

Tulane is also cooperating with police, Strecker said.

"Such actions are nothing short of reprehensible, and are completely contrary to the mission, vision and purpose of our fraternity, if true," the fraternity said in a statement issued from its headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee.

"These types of actions represent a betrayal of our core values and the trust that the men who were hurt by these events placed in their fellow students."

But it said, "these injuries appear to be the result of a few unauthorized, misguided individuals and not the entire chapter."

The arrested students did not comment as they were led into a police vehicle while handcuffed, according to video footage from CNN affiliate WWL.

Pi Kappa Alpha headquarters did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

D'Amico said he is pleased that Tulane and law enforcement have taken swift action on the matter.

His client's parents sent their son to Tulane thinking he would be safe, he added, "and they boil [the pledges] alive."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Say no to Pikes
PostPosted: Thu 05-08-2008 6:01PM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
obligatory psdabfm

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 05-09-2008 6:42AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Isn't this a little bit stereotypical and bigotted? Or do you think all blacks are felons and all muslims are terrorists? Thats fucking stupid, think before you start lumping a group of guys for actions of other people. I'm not a pike and I don't ever want to be, but I am a Sigma Nu and I know when you start making ignorant comments like that you're just perpetuating the stereotype of worthless Fraternities whose prime reason to exist is to drink, party, and make themselves feel better by hazing younger guys.

PostPosted: Fri 05-09-2008 8:36AM 
Lieutenant

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
dar9q7 wrote:
Isn't this a little bit stereotypical and bigotted?
Of course, that's why it's funny.

dar9q7 wrote:
Or do you think all blacks are felons and all muslims are terrorists?
Of course not, yet those topics make for some funny non-PC jokes.

PostPosted: Fri 05-09-2008 9:03AM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
Inquizator wrote:
dar9q7 wrote:
Isn't this a little bit stereotypical and bigotted?
Of course, that's why it's funny.

Exactly! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 05-09-2008 11:46AM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Source: EE Building
and just to make another point. All fraternity brothers take pride in people that have also been in the fraternity even if it were to be from a different year or campus. The greeks always post how many presidents they have had come through their doors, even though a single president has yet to join a fraternity at MSM/UMR/MST. I say if they want to lump in the good people, i will lump in the rapists/murders/cock-asses.

If you want to be in a national organization, you will be considered to be like the national organization.

PostPosted: Sat 05-10-2008 12:31AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Fidelity
I just want to know the thought process that led them to hot crab boil.

Well, come to think, it WAS Tulane, they probably just finished supper and had it around. And if that's the case then I doubt it was any sort of ritualized hazing, as much as it was just some college kids fucking around while they're washing dishes.

But then you read the article again, and either the writer took some literary liberties, or I'm way off.