All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Obama, McCaskill visiting ROLLA this Wednesday
PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 1:20PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
amd2800barton wrote:
Colossians3 wrote:
Cochise wrote:
This "town-hall" shindig is set up to where no one but fans of Obama can go...

I agree with you on everything but this statement. How is it 'set up' to exclude anyone? If you were in line early enough, you got a ticket (or two). They didn't comb the crowd for Republicans and boot them.

Really I'd say that most all these town hall meetings, or for that matter - any political event is "cosed" to the average person. Sure they let anyone in, but how many people are free in the middle of a week day to go stand in line for a couple of hours? For the most part its going to be people who really want to meet Obama. This means people at the polar ends of the spectrum: massive ass kissers, and people who write down a difficult question that will not be allowed to be fielded. So in the end the only people that get to voice their opinions are the Barrack lovers, and the "common man" (or woman) is not even able to go. Now if this turns out not to be the case, and they let anyone ask a question (ANY question, without censorship), THEN I'll be impressed - and recant calling it a sham.

This about sums it up as to why no one but fans of Obama can go. Your average person isn't going to take off work so that they can go stand in a line 2 hours before they start handing out tickets. The crazy Obama butt-kisser will.

PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 3:27PM 
Captain

I went to the event, and here is how I feel about it. Please note, I am completely ignorant on politics, and only went to this Obama event because it was something to do instead of studying. Had McCain shown up at Rolla, I would have gone as well. I got my ticket through my roomie, who went at three and waited in line. There was no combing for opposition - Pyles who is an old school Republican and dislikes Obama and McCain got there just fine!

Yes, the wait sucked. We got there at 11.50 and waited until 1.00 to be let in, only to wait until 3.15 until Obama showed up. Security wasn't bad - they let me bring my DS in, no questions asked. (Which is good because I had an R4 card in the damn thing. Doof.)

It was hot as hell in that damn gym, but anyway - they actually started early and let some people from the Missouri State Government talk, which was good, but forgettable.

Other than the 15 minute wait AFTER that (which I counted FEDs and played my illegal games otherwise) - it was good.

Obama really surprised me - he talked to us like he was one of us - trying to survive like we did. I expected a politician, which I did not get. He knew of our high food, gas, and living costs and had plans set out to fix the economy. He wanted to cut our oil usage by 30% in ten years - a dream so ambitious like Kennedy when he wanted to go to the moon - Obama doesn't know exactly how we are going to do it, but he knows that making green house jobs and research will help and is a good start.

Was he just telling a middle class town what they wanted to hear? Maybe. Maybe not.

After his half hour talk, he let us ask questions. No censorship - there were six questions asked in all - pardon me for not remembering all of them - but some of them including issues like Darfur and the Cuba relationship, along with Vet's not getting proper or no medical care and how he planned to change that. He picked people randomly out of the crowd, going in a boy/girl fashion. As far as I could tell (and the questions being asked) it was an open forum. The other three questions I can't remember right now. Doof.

Anyway, I'll post pics as soon as I get them from my roomies camera. Just wanted to tell people of what I thought.

Pic(s) on Rollachan and (for those who know me) on Facebook. :)

PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 3:42PM 
Lieutenant

Source: RC I
Went to the Obama thing. Gotta say the guy sounds good. Only problem is he's promising the moon when he hasn't created or pushed legislation to do a damn one of the things he is promising. Also from his non-existent economic plan of random stuff he wants to do it seems like he wants a new age of Keynesian economics. Heard him ramble about increased prices for food and gas. Blamed it all on Bush yet didn't say a damn thing about monetary policy that is the root of the problem. This is of course two days after talking with the fed chair and praising his policies that are damning the poor and middle class right now. This statist trash is nothing to be impressed with, looks like 4 more years till we get a decent candidate for president.

PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 6:01PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
Veo wrote:
After his half hour talk, he let us ask questions. No censorship - there were six questions asked in all - pardon me for not remembering all of them - but some of them including issues like Darfur and the Cuba relationship, along with Vet's not getting proper or no medical care and how he planned to change that. He picked people randomly out of the crowd, going in a boy/girl fashion. As far as I could tell (and the questions being asked) it was an open forum. The other three questions I can't remember right now. Doof.

Now that is impressive. He's certainly succeeding in his "man of the people" image. Now if he would just get a little less vague. He seems like a good man, if he would just get specific with his plan.

Also the Kennedy comparisons I've heard from a number of people - I wonder does anyone else find these amusing? Kennedy was a fairly mediocre president as far as leadership goes. He set out great ideals and achieved very little - it wasn't until after his assassination that Johnson was able to ram Kennedy's ideas down congress's previously gridlocked throat.

PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 6:12PM 
Sergeant

One was about how he would bring back manufacturing jobs. His response was that he was going to remove instinctive for them to go over seas and bring new 'green jobs' to the US, but he also wanted to tax industry more heavily for pollution they emit. So that probably will keep driving jobs overseas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 9:35PM 
Major General

My impression of the events:

The speech was very rousing. I have no doubt in my mind that if you accepted Obama's policies that he would be a fine president (I just so happen to not accept his financial policies). He's a pretty damn fine orator and knows how to get a crowd going. His opening remarks were largely centered around small town economics (reasonable given the crowd) and steered mostly away from social issues (again, reasonable given the area). However, the question and answer period pissed me off. Many of the questions (green policies, helping some lady's brother who was sick, jobs, etc.) were just softball rehashes of his speech. In fact, when he was addressing the guy who asked about the manufacturing jobs, he outlined his green policies as well (in addition to doing the same in his opening speech). So, what did the next lady ask? About his mother fucking green policies!!! What the hell? I had a question about how he plans to protect civil liberties and if he would deviate from the status quo in that regard. But no, this wasn't asked. Whatever.

Nonetheless, I shook his hand and wished him well. I do think he will be the next president, so this is really a once in a lifetime kind of thing. It would have been nice to have more questions, but alas, I do know his time is limited.

PostPosted: Wed 07-30-2008 9:54PM 
Major General

Oh, and crappy iPhone pictures: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?a ... 1058233035

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 8:05AM 
Captain

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the two questions - about Cuba and Darfur - just piss me off more and more.

Our country has enough problems as it is, and you want to go try and help someone else? I wanted to ask what he though of Nuclear power, or what kjk437 wanted, but nooo . . . . ugg. Idiots. :<

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 8:54AM 
Brigadier General

Source: IT Staff
I kind of wanted to ask him if he had any plans to help with America's growing (pun intended) obesity problem. As a man who appears to be very fit/active, I'm interested in hearing his view.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 9:02AM 
Lieutenant

Quote:
I kind of wanted to ask him if he had any plans to help with America's growing (pun intended) obesity problem. As a man who appears to be very fit/active, I'm interested in hearing his view.

Because of course its the governments business that my sister is a fatass.

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 9:30AM 
Brigadier General

Source: IT Staff
Battalion wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. If people can't make healthy choices on their own, the government needs to step in to help. They can start by better regulating what goes into our foods, beginning with cutting down on the usage of high-fructose corn syrup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 9:41AM 
Lieutenant

Quote:
Indeed. If people can't make healthy choices on their own, the government needs to step in to help. They can start by better regulating what goes into our foods, beginning with cutting down on the usage of high-fructose corn syrup.

If parents can't raise their kids properly the government needs to help
If owners can't treat their pets properly the government needs to help
If individuals can't pay their mortgages properly the government needs to help
If individuals can't live their lives properly the government needs to help

My, my, my, my, my, this campus needs even more help then I realized. But fear not! This semester I shall make it my personal mission to save all of you from the notions society has brain washed you with. All of you can be saved, if you are willing to be saved.

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 10:08AM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Off Campus
Battalion wrote:
Quote:

If parents can't raise their kids properly the government needs to help
If owners can't treat their pets properly the government needs to help
If individuals can't pay their mortgages properly the government needs to help
If individuals can't live their lives properly the government needs to help

My, my, my, my, my, this campus needs even more help then I realized. But fear not! This semester I shall make it my personal mission to save all of you from the notions society has brain washed you with. All of you can be saved, if you are willing to be saved.

You're a moron. You won't change anyone's mind. Shut up.

Oh, btw, I agree with you; the government doesn't need to step in on most things. But you're a failure..........at life.

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 11:06AM 
Captain

Agreed for the "He fails at life", but I can say that because I personally know Battalion. :)

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 8:05PM 
Brigadier General

Colossians3 wrote:
Battalion wrote:
Quote:

Do you know why high fructose corn syrup is in every-damn-thing?

Government interference in the free market. Protectionist tarriffs on the import of sugar, meant to help domestic sugar growers. But, subsidies on corn farming have made HFCS cheaper than domestic sugar, and imported sugar is even more expensive.

Oh yeah, and farm subsidies have driven down the price of food and increased income taxes (which means that labor costs more) at the same time that minimum wage laws increase the cost of labor even more - which means that to turn a profit, restaurants etc. have to offer larger and larger portions (the increase in price due to an increase in food is small compared to the price of the labor, which does not increase for, say, a larger burger or serving of fries).

You want to fight obesity? Don't pass more laws. Get rid of government interference in the free market.

Reminds me of a quote: "If you think more government is the answer, then you obviously don't understand the problem."

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif