Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:25AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Why the Baptist Church is Crazy...
PostPosted: Fri 06-11-2004 7:42AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Triangle
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0502 ... eding.html

http://www.aperturescience.com/

Post subject: Re: Why the Baptist Church is Crazy...
PostPosted: Fri 06-11-2004 8:01AM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
Captain_Cadaver wrote:
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0502/breastfeeding.html

You do realize that Landover Baptist Church is just a joke?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06-11-2004 8:14AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
damn! and they had me really wanting to see the payback of the christ! now my holy faith has been shattered to its core....satan would never do this.

Life is a disease
sexually transmitted, terminal, and fatal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06-11-2004 8:46AM 

Source: Somewhere
I just wonder why he even posted that link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 12:41AM 

Didn't you get the memo? god believers generally don't have a clue as to what's really going on...they believe in an all powerful being that can't be seen, heard, touched, tasted, or smelled...god is kinda like an adult version of Santa Claus. Eventually they'll wake up and realize that organized religion is simply a tool for social control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 9:53AM 

I'm going to assume the original poster made this post because they found the site amusing. You can make fun of anything, so why not religion...right?
The point is this...that last comment wasn't needed and even if the person was smarting off, it still did not need to be said.
So if you're joking, lucky you, you still stirred up this little fire that's within that sorta boils when I hear such comments.
So sit back, here comes a long response.
Quote:
"Didn't you get the memo? god believers generally don't have a clue as to what's really going on...they believe in an all powerful being that can't be seen, heard, touched, tasted, or smelled...god is kinda like an adult version of Santa Claus. Eventually they'll wake up and realize that organized religion is simply a tool for social control."

Can you see the wind?
Can you hear the world when you're under water?
Can you touch the sky?
Can you taste a cloud?
Can you smell the fog?
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
You can't see the wind, but you can see what it does and feel it there. You can't see God but you can see how he changes people and you can feel his spirit. I feel it at church the most. When someone is praising him and the song is moving and I get goosebumps. I wasn't cold or startled. It was the Holy Spirit’s presence.
When you’re underwater, you can’t hear the outside world. You can’t hear a kid laughing on the beach or a baby crying. You can’t hear most of it if you’re underwater. But that doesn’t mean the world stopped spinning or everyone got quiet. No, it means you can’t hear it because of the water. Just because God doesn’t always talk to you in a roaring voice, doesn’t mean he’s not there. How do you know he’s not talking in the rain, or the mist, or the thunder but you doubt him so much that you don’t notice? I mean, we humans tend to have selective hearing so we could just be missing it.
You can’t touch the sky. Even airplanes don’t truly touch it. It’s not even solid. But it’s there and we can see it. Even at night, we can see the stars or Rembrandts of the sky. We don’t have to touch God to know he’s there but we can feel him. We can feel his presence and we can believe he’s there. Once a person dies, did they never existed since you can no longer touch them? Touching isn’t believing.
Can you taste a cloud? I doubt you’d be like “hey, man, let me lick you to see if you’re real” so why worry if you can “taste” God? Just because you can’t taste him, doesn’t mean he’s not here. Right now, you can’t taste your online friends, but they are there, aren’t they?
You can’t smell the fog. You can see it and feel it, but you can’t smell it. Again, would you really walk up to someone and sniff to see if they are real? Doubtful.
As for comparing God to Santa, you can’t even make such a comparison. First off, you’re trying to say that a Santa never existed but yet, history shows there once was a man referred to as St. Nicholas and that’s where the myth began. So if you’re wanting to compare them, you’re saying a God did exist but now, it’s mythical. So think before you make comparisons.
“Organized religion is simply a tool for social control.” I don’t know about you, but people make mistakes. Being a part of a religion does NOT mean you do exactly as they say. Many people have premarital sex and that doesn’t mean they aren’t in an organized religion. See, that’s part of it. God gives us free choice. We have the choice to make the decisions we do so religion doesn’t just control us and it’s not a quick fix for all the problems in the world. So if it was a tool for social control, it’s failed. It’s failed in so many aspects that it’s not even funny.
=====================
So sarcasm, joke, reality...whatever...I don't just let those comments fly by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 12:17PM 

Geez where to begin...I'll be brief, I can feel wind, so therefore it's probably there...

In fact, lets go one by one:
Can you see the wind?
Yes, if I take a cloth, and the wind is strong enough, I can see the effect the wind has on the cloth.

Yes, though sound gets all messed up as it travels through water, a rather interesting effect.

Can you touch the sky?
Well, I can travel beyond the sky (though it'd be rather expensive), so I can measure the size of the sky and judge that it is most likely there.

Can you taste a cloud?
Clouds are composed of water vapor and sometimes nasty chemicals, but mostly water, can't taste water.

Can you smell fog?
Same as water, but I can sometimes feel the fog as I walk through it and breath it in.

Miracles? There are more miracles performed by doctors every day, and geneticists, and hard working people that won't accept that it's time for a person to die because God said so.

The real problem with religion is that it makes all people out to be terrible (by comparing flawed human beings, with absolute perfection(ie God)), which just makes people feel bad.

It's hard to not be skeptical about religion when you have people like Pat Robertson and his cronies raking in massive amounts of cash from...religious people....The never he has to say that women shouldn't have the right to choose what they want to do with their own bodies...it's fucked up.

People just need to grow up and realize that human beings are what makes the Earth so great, and the miracles of science, technology, and people are what makes this planet a reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 12:29PM 
Colonel

why o why can people not take a joke. the site does not mock god, nor would god really care if it did me thinks, however it does mock over zealous christians of which there seems to be many. and the ac's post was just a troll that you fell for, but thats ok.....as long as you remember that my god has a bigger dick that your god.

Life is a disease
sexually transmitted, terminal, and fatal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 11:10PM 
Brigadier General

Yeah, it is a pretty funny joke site. Especially the WWJD thongs at the bottom of the page. Didn't know it was going to stir up some God bashers.

Quote:
It's hard to not be skeptical about religion when you have people like Pat Robertson and his cronies raking in massive amounts of cash from...religious people....The never he has to say that women shouldn't have the right to choose what they want to do with their own bodies...it's fucked up.

Ok, first off, people take advantage of religion all the time. Does that make religion bad? No, Pat Robertson is the bad guy. Religion is not what your complaing about, your complaing about the church. Religion is merely a concept. Religion promotes good will towards man, its people that skew the truth. I agree science and technology are acomplishments of man without God. Man has done many great things without God. And man has done terrible things in the name of God, mostly because what is said in the bible. Did God write the bible? No, so why should man listen to a book revised over and over in 2000 years? I believe in a God that wants me to do good in this world, what's the problem with that? Does that make me an idiot because I believe in something you dont?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 11:52PM 
Spanish

gamer girl wrote:
I'm going to assume the original poster made this post because they found the site amusing. You can make fun of anything, so why not religion...right?
The point is this...that last comment wasn't needed and even if the person was smarting off, it still did not need to be said.
So if you're joking, lucky you, you still stirred up this little fire that's within that sorta boils when I hear such comments.
So sit back, here comes a long response.
Quote:
"Didn't you get the memo? god believers generally don't have a clue as to what's really going on...they believe in an all powerful being that can't be seen, heard, touched, tasted, or smelled...god is kinda like an adult version of Santa Claus. Eventually they'll wake up and realize that organized religion is simply a tool for social control."

Can you see the wind?
Can you touch the sky?
Can you taste a cloud?
Can you smell the fog?
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
... bla bla bla, i'm a tool and an attention whore ...
So sarcasm, joke, reality...whatever...I don't just let those comments fly by.

I've already posted this link, but I feel it's necesary to post it again.
enjoy =)
http://xenoq.techcore.org/logs/god.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 1:29AM 
Brigadier General

Captain_Cadaver wrote:
Does that make me an idiot because I believe in something you dont?

No.

It makes other people idiots for not following your line of reasoning.

I would not have the attitude that I have toward organized religion in this country if its followers shared your belief.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 9:11AM 

Captain_Cadaver wrote:
Yeah, it is a pretty funny joke site. Especially the WWJD thongs at the bottom of the page. Didn't know it was going to stir up some God bashers.

Quote:

Ok, first off, people take advantage of religion all the time. Does that make religion bad? No, Pat Robertson is the bad guy. Religion is not what your complaing about, your complaing about the church. Religion is merely a concept. Religion promotes good will towards man, its people that skew the truth. I agree science and technology are acomplishments of man without God. Man has done many great things without God. And man has done terrible things in the name of God, mostly because what is said in the bible. Did God write the bible? No, so why should man listen to a book revised over and over in 2000 years? I believe in a God that wants me to do good in this world, what's the problem with that? Does that make me an idiot because I believe in something you dont?

Hey, I have no beef with you, nor do I have a beef with religion in general, my real problem is with organized religion, like I said in my original post. By the way, I never said that there 100% was not a god either, I just said it's like Santa Claus, probably not there, but hey, who knows right =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 9:38AM 

Ok then. Guess I just wanted to make things a little more clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 9:39AM 
Brigadier General

Anonymous wrote:
Ok then. Guess I just wanted to make things a little more clear.

Damn it, I hate it when I forget to log on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 7:03PM 

Anonymous wrote:
The real problem with religion is that it makes all people out to be terrible (by comparing flawed human beings, with absolute perfection(ie God)), which just makes people feel bad.

You seem to have a problem with truth.

Anonymous wrote:
People just need to grow up and realize that human beings are what makes the Earth so great, and the miracles of science, technology, and people are what makes this planet a reality.

People are also what make the world suck.

And from a Christian perspective, the people who do "good" things are only utilizing the skills and materials God provided them.