Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 7:48AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-20-2004 2:43PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Well, I can't blame people that take advantage of a stupid system. If you were in a position to get a multi-million dollar settlement, wouldn't you take it? I don't point my fingers at the "dumb" people that are smart enough to take advantage of their situation. I blame the system that makes it easier for a company to save face by settling out of court when they're assaulted by idiotic lawsuits like these (from http://www.atra.org/display/13)

Quote:
The Chicago Sun- Times reports May 14, 2004 that a Cook County, Illinois, couple is suing American Airlines because they didn't have enough leg room and subsequently were cramped aboard a flight to Paris.

They are seeking more than $100,000.

Quote:
Cable TV made a West Bend man addicted to TV, caused his wife to be overweight and his kids to be lazy, he says. And he’s threatening to sue the cable company. Timothy Dumouchel wants $5,000 or three computers, and a lifetime supply of free Internet service from Charter Communications to settle what he says will be a small claims suit. Dumouchel blames Charter for his TV addiction, his wife’s 50-pound weight gain and his children’s being “lazy channel surfers,” according to a Fond du Lac police report. According to the report, Dumouchel told Charter employees he plans to sue because his cable connection remained intact four years after he tried to get it canceled. The result was that he and his family got free cable from August of 1999 to Dec. 23, 2003. “I believe that the reason I smoke and drink every day and my wife is overweight is because we watched TV every day for the last four years,” Dumouchel stated in a written complaint against the company, included in a Fond du Lac police report. “But the reason I am suing Charter is they did not let me make a decision as to what was best for myself and my family and (they have been) keeping cable (coming) into my home for four years after I asked them to turn it off.” According to the police report, Dumouchel called Charter to stop his cable service in August of 1999 and was taken off the billing but not the cable service. He stated that he called Charter several times to get the service disconnected for good because he felt it was addictive, according to the report. Wisconsin Circuit Court records show no civil lawsuit papers filed in Dumouchel’s

Quote:
A lawsuit has been filed against a California school district, by the family of a student who failed to make the varsity basketball team. After sophomore Jawann Rubin did not make the cut to be on his high school varsity basketball team, his father filed a lawsuit seeking $1.5 million in damages and demanding that the varsity basketball coach be fired.

Jawanns’ father, Lynn Rubin, claims Jawann’s family rearranged their schedules to accommodate varsity basketball practices, after the coach encouraged Jawann to try-out for the team. Mr. Rubin claims the family was never consulted about the coach’s decision not to advance Jawann from junior varsity to varsity.

According to the lawsuit, the coach cited school policy, which restricts sophomores to junior varsity status. However, after a confrontation between Jawann and his coach, Jawann was cut from the junior varsity team.

Mr. Rubin calculated the amount in damages based on potential wages his son may have made with a professional basketball career.

This one hits close to home...
Quote:
In San Antonio, Texas, Bexar County, an angry man rammed a couple's house after an argument, hard enough to knock the house off its foundation. Instead of suing the man who rammed their house, he had little money, they sued the engineer who designed the foundation. The foundation was completely within the requirements of the City of San Antonio. Just the same, the judge found for them to the tune of $40,000.

Suing the structural engineer, even with the foundation meeting code? Great... I'll have something to look forward to I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-20-2004 11:41PM 
Captain

Quote:
The latest lawsuit was filed last week against McDonald's, saying the company did not follow through on its promise to cut "bad fat" in its french fries.

Ummm... French Fries.... They are fried how are they supposed to be remotely healthy. I don't get what the "bad fat" is about? Fat in huge quantities is bad no matter what kind of fat it is.

Suddenly I'm reminded of the fat ass mom who tried to sue McDonalds for making her son fat...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07-21-2004 10:41PM 
Hero of Time

Patrick wrote:
...assaulted by idiotic lawsuits like these (from http://www.atra.org/display/13)

Someday I will hunt down and brutally murder every one of these people.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07-21-2004 10:59PM 
Brigadier General

actually... extra virgin olive oil isn't bad for you. on crete, they drink it by the glass like iced tea.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-22-2004 6:53AM 

Source: Somewhere
Patrick wrote:
Speaking of tort lawyers, how bout that crazy John Edwards character? He made his $90 million as a lawyer for cases like this. I wonder what his stance on this issue will be... And if John Kerry will agree. I'm completely against tort law, and if Kerry voices support for this ridiculous obesity-disease crap it will give me one more thing to dislike about him.

Maybe he'll sue so many fast food places that the cost of fast food will skyrocket, just like the cost of malpractice insurance as a result of all the cases from kids with mental retardation that he toted as being the doctors fault because they waited too long to do a C-section. It is known now that C-sections don't cause this type of retardation... lawyers are the scum of the earth.

...and about that lady that burned herself... good tasting coffee should be brewed and cupped at 195-205 degrees. If she didn't know that it was hot, she is not only stupid, but a culinary idiot who should stick to drinking orange juice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-22-2004 6:54AM 
Lieutenant

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is my dumb anon ass....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-11-2004 9:46AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
It's GENETIC!! Gollum

"I'll attract them with my human call.... 'I'm so wasted, I'm so wasted!'" - Dryad, Night Elf, Warcraft III Reign of Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-11-2004 9:50AM 
Colonel

LordoftheJujubes wrote:
It's GENETIC!! Gollum

He was a restaurant manager... does that mean he should sue himself? He's large enough to sit on both sides of the court room, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-11-2004 10:09AM 
Brigadier General

How in the hell does a human being get to be half a ton?!?

We may be the fattest country in the world, but even we have to obey the laws of conservation of matter and energy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-11-2004 4:53PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Another obvious case of genetics. :roll:

"I'll attract them with my human call.... 'I'm so wasted, I'm so wasted!'" - Dryad, Night Elf, Warcraft III Reign of Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 8:45AM 
Penis Hater

...... wow.... that's all i can say.... wow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 9:14AM 
Major

Source: Materials Research Center
Quote:
Removing her from the couch would be too painful, since her body was grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin had literally become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed.

Oh my god....that in and of itself is amazing.

Quote:
No charges have been filed, but officials are looking into negligence issues.

In my eyes the only person who was neglegent was herself. She is the only one to blame for her condition...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 9:43AM 
Lieutenant

Should the relatives of the woman fused to her couch be held legally responsible? Probably not. She, ultimately, had control of her fate. Similarly, you can't hold family and friends responsible for someone who dies of lung cancer from heavy smoking.

However, I think some level of moral culpability can definitely be attributed to her loved ones. To see someone live in the same couch for 6 years without seeking professional help of some sort is a crime against decency. She couldn't get out of the couch, so the guy she lived with obviously directly controlled her diet. Although it was undoubtedly selfless of him to take care of her for so long (I have to commend him for that kind of dedication), it was foolishness on his part to let her reach the point she did and leave her that way. She might not have liked it if he tried to help her, and she might have resented him for it, but sometimes people don't like you when you do the right thing. And it is selfish to care more about whether someone likes you than whether you're doing the right thing. Pardon me for sounding callous. This is truly a sad case; it really breaks my heart.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 1:08PM 
Colonel

Jobenly wrote:
To see someone live in the same couch for 6 years without seeking professional help of some sort is a crime against decency.

... so is going a week without showering, but you don't see swampies getting dragged out of their beds by Febreeze-wielding SWAT teams...

The only person responsible for that dead woman's mess isn't around anymore to be held accountable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 1:31PM 
Spanish

Source: VPN
Patrick wrote:
...but you don't see swampies getting dragged out of their beds by Febreeze-wielding SWAT teams...

not yet, but that's a damn good idea!

imo people should be held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof), but sometimes people cant recognize what they're doing wrong (i.e. swampies), and those people need help, i'm not saying they have an excuse, just they need a nice kick in the ass to get them going again. As for the woman, JESUS CHRIST YOU'RE STUCK TO A FUCKING COUCH!

Profile E-mail