Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed 05-01-2024 12:56AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: looking to get a laptop
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 4:31PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
... and I'd like some suggestions from the Seek userbase on what to get. I'm going to be using it primarily for homework/classwork and web design. I need to be able to use VPN and windows Remote Desktop (so don't suggest a mac) and I want to spend as little as I possibly can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 5:02PM 
Colonel

Source: MST Wireless
All I can say (from experience): don't get an HP or Dell (especially not a Dell).

My first (modern) laptop purchase was from no-name American Computech Inc. It is my only laptop that hasn't fatally failed on me, and I've had it for about 5 years.

I've heard ASUS and Toshiba make good notebooks... and most of the time you can get a pretty good idea on what you're getting from newegg.com (ASUS shows up on 7 out of 10 of their top-rated notebooks).

Quick newegg search http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115356

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 5:18PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
don't know why you don't like HP, but i've had very good luck with their notebooks. and (for a computer company) they support them pretty well.

DO NOT go with acer. Asus makes very good laptops, but they can run somewhat pricey for fully featured notebooks. Toshiba is pretty good as well, though my last toshiba notebook was in 2001; so it's been a while for me. and i can't really comment on Dell as i have had zilch experience with them - although i've heard their new models are somewhat better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 5:44PM 
Major General

How high of specs do you want to go? I'm toying with selling mine: T7200 Core 2 Duo, ATI x1400 mobility card, Vista Home Premium installed but you can use whatever you want, obviously, 1 gig DDR2. It is a Dell, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just realized I don't have a need for a laptop, so I'm going for an iPhone Touch for mobility and a desktop for at home.

Let me know.

Post subject: Re: looking to get a laptop
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 5:48PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
theshed wrote:
I need to be able to use VPN and windows Remote Desktop (so don't suggest a mac) and I want to spend as little as I possibly can.

I can varify that OSX has VPN built-in, and microsoft has a RDP client and I've had no problems.

Personally, I've had good support from Apple and HP (Compaq) on my laptops. I will admit that Compaq has pretty bad reliability ratings, but I've had very bad experiences with Dell despite it's better ratings. I have not had good experience with Acer desktop hardware.

My Compaq was a cheap-o (less than $600 w/accessories and tax) and died recently from a failed cooling fan after 4 years of constant use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 6:04PM 
Sergeant

Source: CompSci Building
My Acer Aspire has been good so far. The best thing about is that Windows XP drivers are available for it, so I don't have to be stuck with the preinstalled Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 6:25PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: TJ North
I am now on my second Dell laptop (the first one having lasted 4 years, until it finally was too outdated to really do anything, and there was that 5 foot drop onto concrete...) so all you Dell haters out there we'll blow your planet up.

PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 10:55PM 
Colonel

kjk437 wrote:
I'm toying with selling mine: T7200 Core 2 Duo, ATI x1400 mobility card, Vista Home Premium installed but you can use whatever you want, obviously, 1 gig DDR2. It is a Dell, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Quote me a price, I might consider buying it.

WhtHawk wrote:
theshed wrote:
I need to be able to use VPN and windows Remote Desktop (so don't suggest a mac) and I want to spend as little as I possibly can.

I can varify that OSX has VPN built-in, and microsoft has a RDP client and I've had no problems.
Correction: I don't understand the mac interface or how macs work, and I do not want to take the time to understand it even if it is compatible with windows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 11:10PM 
Major General

theshed wrote:
kjk437 wrote:
I'm toying with selling mine: T7200 Core 2 Duo, ATI x1400 mobility card, Vista Home Premium installed but you can use whatever you want, obviously, 1 gig DDR2. It is a Dell, but there's nothing wrong with it.
Quote me a price, I might consider buying it.

WhtHawk wrote:
theshed wrote:

Correction: I don't understand the mac interface or how macs work, and I do not want to take the time to understand it even if it is compatible with windows.

Real easy to learn. Switching to Mac was the best thing I ever did. No viruses and spyware FTW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-05-2007 11:22PM 
post whore
post whore

I got my HP/Compaq at OfficeDepot for $400 after some rebates a year ago... I know right now BestBuy is running a laptop deal for $350 with no rebates. Granted, it's not awesome, but it's a laptop and it'll do what you want it to do.

Here's one for $450 from bestbuy, no rebates. It's quite a bit nicer than the $350 one that I can't find was.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/message ... d1=bestbuy

I can't find the link for the $350 one :(

PostPosted: Thu 09-06-2007 12:10AM 
Colonel

devil wrote:
Real easy to learn. Switching to Mac was the best thing I ever did. No viruses and spyware FTW!
I've been running a Windows desktop for nearly four years (at 24/7/365) and have had no problems with viruses or spyware the entire time. Granted, its a highly tweaked version, but I refuse to run OS's that I don't understand how to tweak to my specifications, and (as I said before) I don't want to spend the time to learn how Mac's work right now.

Benm, check the dates on that link because that offer may no longer be valid. The original post on that link is dated 7/14 and the most recent post in that thread is dated 8/04. Also, Best Buy's website is currently down (for updates at late night/early morning I guess[?]), so I can't currently verify that the offer is still good, but checking best buy's ad, they have a Toshiba for ~$380, which is looking good to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-06-2007 1:31AM 
post whore
post whore

Doh on the dates. The $380 laptop is the one I was thinking of. I couldn't find the link for it...