* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:22PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Broken laptop screen (?)
PostPosted: Sat 08-09-2008 6:41PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
So recently my brother's laptop screen stopped displaying on the right ~6 inches of screen. Instead vertical bars of random colors show up. Click for Picture. The back of the laptop lid has a slight crack, however, i removed the bezel and took off the lid, and can't see any damage on the back of the actual screen, or even on the inside of the notebook lid. Also, looking closely at the screen - it doesn't appear to be physical damage (cracked). I checked the connections, and hooked up the computer to an external display (the image is fine).

I've already found a replacement screen, but don't want to order it to find out that the screen was fine.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Broken laptop screen (?)
PostPosted: Thu 08-14-2008 4:20PM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
I'm no expert on the subject, but it sounds like the internal matrix (don't know technical name) was disrupted and if I remember correctly, your problem is probably along the outer border (top and bottom) of the screen in those areas. So unless you've got some magical way to repair those (hey, who knows, maybe something along there is out of place or something), chances are that it's a goner.

Though you'll probably be better off with a second opinion.

peace

PostPosted: Thu 08-14-2008 5:57PM 
post whore
post whore

amd2800barton wrote:
So recently my brother's laptop screen stopped displaying on the right ~6 inches of screen. Instead vertical bars of random colors show up. Click for Picture. The back of the laptop lid has a slight crack, however, i removed the bezel and took off the lid, and can't see any damage on the back of the actual screen, or even on the inside of the notebook lid. Also, looking closely at the screen - it doesn't appear to be physical damage (cracked). I checked the connections, and hooked up the computer to an external display (the image is fine).

I've already found a replacement screen, but don't want to order it to find out that the screen was fine.

Any ideas?

Dan, dan dan. It's ok, I sat my laptop I think - the screen is all cracked and it's like looking at a stained glass window now. How much is a new screen? Might have to buy one and sell the old laptop to recoup the costs of the new one :D

PostPosted: Fri 08-15-2008 11:03AM 
Major

Yuck. My laptop has one very tiny row of column that does it in the far left. But when you tilt the screen a bit, it goes away, so I am almost sure that it is some kind of loose connection in the wire that goes from screen to motherboard. But for 1/4 of a screen to have that, I wouldn't think that would be the problem. It also doesn't look like a video card problem....