Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed 04-24-2024 2:16PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: anybody else have problems with fidnet?
PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 7:36PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Jeez, I thought it was just me. I can rarely even stream a YouTube video. Check this crap out:

I've been corresponding with Carl Terry (Senior Helpdesk Technician). He told me this:

Quote:
I did a couple of different things to see if we could get this problem resolved for you.

1st) I put in a trouble ticket for the line techs to check into the lines, make sure the equipment is working properly and such.
2nd) I tried sending a new, updated signal through on your modem to see if it would kick start it into going properly

After hearing everyone's stories, I'm not optimistic. Hopefully they'll waive my bill for this month. We're paying $127/month (Just Perfect package plus HD/DVR).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 7:54PM 
Major

We are still having problems, they are sending a tech out this week. Also not very optimistic about it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 10:14PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: Off Campus
You'd think for $50 installation and $80/month for a 5 megabit connection, they could keep their network up and running or even... GASP ... improve it.

RoadRunner in KC has free installation, is $45/month for a 5 megabit connection (with a 6 month 29.95 introductory rate).

This brings me to my next point: Is anyone interested in setting up a WISP in rolla with me? Fidelity doesn't keep people under contract, and it wouldn't be too hard to undercut them AND offer a better product that would pull people away... PM me or email/im if you're interested.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 10:17PM 
Drowning

i dont know what all is entailed, but this is ridiculous I cant even finish a speed test without it losing connection.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 11:43PM 
Lieutenant

I haven't had noticeable problems with Fidelity lately. I have the 3M/512K package.

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 8:25AM 
Brigadier General

I had the same problems back in June that you guys were talking about. I had them give me a new modem... didn't work, then i got another and WOW... it all worked just fine after that.

It can easily be something else now for you guys but the first two had the same issue with cutting off the internet when I kicked into downloading anything. I thought maybe it was a bad line but it doesn't seem to be the case because my Internets working great for em right now. Only thing I had is I went past 70gb downloaded on Fidnets Newsgroups for the month and have to wait until next mouth but that's hardly a issue since I have my own newsgroup anyway.

The internet always slows down allot when school starts back up but something tells me that Fidelity hasn't had a upgrade in a while and with that Upload Increase, how much do you wanna bet that they pulled that one off by cutting into their download capacity?

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 10:37AM 
Brigadier General

Slow upload is probably because I am seeding some torrents (legally of course). 3d/512u package. I am the only one home right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 4:14PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Worseley wrote:
I had the same problems back in June that you guys were talking about. I had them give me a new modem... didn't work, then i got another and WOW... it all worked just fine after that.

It can easily be something else now for you guys but the first two had the same issue with cutting off the internet when I kicked into downloading anything. I thought maybe it was a bad line but it doesn't seem to be the case because my Internets working great for em right now. Only thing I had is I went past 70gb downloaded on Fidnets Newsgroups for the month and have to wait until next mouth but that's hardly a issue since I have my own newsgroup anyway.

The internet always slows down allot when school starts back up but something tells me that Fidelity hasn't had a upgrade in a while and with that Upload Increase, how much do you wanna bet that they pulled that one off by cutting into their download capacity?

I would go with the model thing, but we are on our 4th modem and still the same problems

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 4:41PM 
Drowning

I called yesterday and that bitch finally called me back and said that they will give us a $30 waiver (pro rated $60/mo) but I still have to pay the $50 installation which i guess is fair. Still no guy here to give us our third modem.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 4:56PM 
Major

:(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 6:48PM 
Major

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 6:58PM 
post whore
post whore

Wow... usually our connection is pretty good, but I'm only able to pull about 500 kilobits per second consistently right now. Everyone downloading RB2 or something?

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 11:32PM 
Major

this is typical for late evening/night... nearly impossible to do anything

PostPosted: Wed 09-10-2008 12:17AM 
post whore
post whore

benm wrote:
Wow... usually our connection is pretty good, but I'm only able to pull about 500 kilobits per second consistently right now. Everyone downloading RB2 or something?

Doh, turns out in my case everyone in my house was doing stuff on the internets... DD WRT showed us using like 4.5 megabits combined. Dropped usenet traffic into a lower priority on QoS so we can resume normal web browsing :D

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 9:35AM 
Brigadier General

Source: VPN
Sweet!

Quote:
Scott,

Shortly after sending this we ended up doing some more digging into the problem. The network administrators were able to see a problem that was affecting your area, not the entire town of Rolla, but several streets. As of this morning it looks like it should be fixed. Monitor over the next couple of days and if it is still running slower than it should be let us know. I will also enter a request for credit on your Internet account for 1 month of service. If you have any other questions or problems let me know.

Profile E-mail