Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 04-19-2024 2:26PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Bandwith Rules?
PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 11:08AM 
Drowning

Source: Fidelity
I would say off campus ftw but just had the fidelity guy try and fix this shit for the third time and its so ridiculously unstable you cant do much of anything.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 3:30PM 
Colonel

Source: Somewhere On Campus
yeah, off campus ftw yada yada, but seriously it bones a lot of people out of what they want to do, because recreation is not seen as important to the University.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 4:13PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
LostBoyz wrote:
I would say off campus ftw but just had the fidelity guy try and fix this shit for the third time and its so ridiculously unstable you cant do much of anything.

Off campus + Embarq ftw?

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 4:55PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Altaica wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

Off campus + Embarq ftw?

It is starting to look that way.

I don't know why LB is having these problems, and I am not, even when I max out my speed. I could throw a rock through his window from my back porch (as long as I could put a wicked curve on it and avoid an obstacle course of deck posts). Never mind the fact my top speed is only 1Mb/s.

Also, if you can get 5Mb speeds for only $40/mo, I think I need to switch. I have basic cable and internet (no package) through Fidnet, and it is around $85/mo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 1:10AM 
bertowned
bertowned

well its not exactly 40 bucks a month for the 5mb with embarq. i pay 80-85ish a month since you can't just get naked DSL (a la no phone service). combine that with dish/direct and the price is around the same, or less than 3mb cable internet + basic cable. Plus you don't pay for shitty service.

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 12:41AM 
Captain

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
i actually got an email from Karl a couple of days ago also. I guess since the internet has been so god awful slow this year if you pull large files or pull them over long periods of time then check on what u where pulling and cut you off. i emailed Karl and he was very firm, it was not academic use it was personal and i was out of like. I think i pulled 1 gig overnight after 1am..... Nobody is up online then i thought it would be ok. Now i can't even get 1 webpage to load anymore

Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.6@3.4:Gigabyte DA-965p-DQ6:MSI GTX 260 OC:4Gigs Corsair XMS2@800mhz:~ 5.0 TB:G15 Gaming Keyboard:Razer Copperhead Mouse:37" 1080p Westinghouse Monitor:5.1 Logitech:NZXT Lexa Blackline:Xfi Xtreme Gamer

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 10:02AM 
Colonel

How much of an individual's res life fees go to pay for internet connectivity? Are there written policies pertaining to personal use vs. academic use in campus housing? Are residents allowed to purchase and install a private internet connection?

All questions I might actually care about if I didn't live off-campus (ftw), but may be interesting for those in the situation to think about (and perhaps ask).

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 10:12AM 
Brigadier General

amd2800barton wrote:
well its not exactly 40 bucks a month for the 5mb with embarq. i pay 80-85ish a month since you can't just get naked DSL (a la no phone service). combine that with dish/direct and the price is around the same, or less than 3mb cable internet + basic cable. Plus you don't pay for shitty service.

Check out dslreports there are a couple Embarq tech guys there that say there are things you can do to get Embarq DSL without the phone plans. Just straight up DSL by itself. I started to check it out when i was gonna switch but I never got around to it.

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 11:29AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Altaica wrote:
How much of an individual's res life fees go to pay for internet connectivity? Are there written policies pertaining to personal use vs. academic use in campus housing? Are residents allowed to purchase and install a private internet connection?

All questions I might actually care about if I didn't live off-campus (ftw), but may be interesting for those in the situation to think about (and perhaps ask).

I'm pretty sure you can, in fact do that. I know i heard of a couple guys in the dorms who got dsl or cable to their room in TJ. They split the costs with the room next door and ran an ethernet cable over. I believe this was the year before bandwith tiers came into place (and made the resnet internet good). Previously everyone just turned on torrents without consequences (bandwith drop) and everyone had shitty internet at like 10kBps. So it was worthwhile then; considering that the ResNet access seems to have gotten shitty again - this may be something for people to look at. If not you can always get a sprint pcmcia modem + linksys router w/ pcmcia slot and pay 30 bucks a month. Honestly - if I were on campus I'd be bitching to go back to the tiers. At least those were fair.

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 5:51PM 
Major General

amd2800barton wrote:
Altaica wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can, in fact do that. I know i heard of a couple guys in the dorms who got dsl or cable to their room in TJ. They split the costs with the room next door and ran an ethernet cable over. I believe this was the year before bandwith tiers came into place (and made the resnet internet good). Previously everyone just turned on torrents without consequences (bandwith drop) and everyone had shitty internet at like 10kBps. So it was worthwhile then; considering that the ResNet access seems to have gotten shitty again - this may be something for people to look at. If not you can always get a sprint pcmcia modem + linksys router w/ pcmcia slot and pay 30 bucks a month. Honestly - if I were on campus I'd be bitching to go back to the tiers. At least those were fair.

Does Sprint have EvDO coverage in Rolla now? Because if they're still on CDMA 1x for data, your speeds are going to be shitty, like barely faster than dial up shitty.

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 7:29PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

I know AT&T's internet pretty much sucks. It took 1 minute to download a 648kB pdf file. That figures out to... 86kbit/sec. A far cry from 1 Mbit (1024kbit, for you n00bs)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 7:40PM 
Major General

ShadowCat38 wrote:
I know AT&T's internet pretty much sucks. It took 1 minute to download a 648kB pdf file. That figures out to... 86kbit/sec. A far cry from 1 Mbit (1024kbit, for you n00bs)

That was probably on their EDGE (2G) network. Their 3G network goes up to 7.2mbps (not that you'll ever get that, I think speeds closer to 1mbps are more likely).

PostPosted: Thu 09-11-2008 8:35PM 
post whore
post whore

devil wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:
Altaica wrote:

Does Sprint have EvDO coverage in Rolla now? Because if they're still on CDMA 1x for data, your speeds are going to be shitty, like barely faster than dial up shitty.

EvDO was in rolla all of last year

PostPosted: Fri 09-12-2008 12:20AM 
Major

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
It's shit. Can't wait to go off campus.

PostPosted: Fri 09-12-2008 9:10AM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Goran wrote: