Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 8:34AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: well hell...
PostPosted: Sun 11-02-2008 6:44PM 
Colonel

Source: Somewhere On Campus
So, recently my computer's been acting up. For about a year I've been running WoW using an 8800gtx (overkill anyone? haha) and a few days ago it's started being stupid. Whenever I go to play it, the intro movies are fine, but when the login screen appears my screen turns a solid color. Like purple, blue, cyan, off-pink... it's getting annoying. Everything freezes (sound gets stuck, caps lock unresponsive) and I have to hard reset. I updated drivers, ran WoWRepair, reinstalled WoW, formatted and reinstalled windows... and I keep having the same problem.

The drivers are up-to-date, and I don't think the WoW patch is to blame (I was using it fine before). I have also crashed in the past on TF2 but not instantly upon trying to play it, and not so consistently.

I'm not sure if it's the gfx card's fault, the thing survives stress tests just fine. It does tend to run warm (60ish idle, up to 85c under max)... not sure why, my thermaltake armor case is like a giant air vent. The heat sink is still attached fine, the card's locked in well, the fan is running...

Out of ideas. Anyone? Not wanting to replace a $500 gfx card here, heh.

Post subject: Re: well hell...
PostPosted: Sun 11-02-2008 7:59PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
when you updated to the most recent drivers, did you uninstall the old drivers? I've had that cause similar problems in videos before. Not to locking up, but everything goes a purple or pink hue. Had to do with the accelerated rendered I was using on wmv files.

Might try uninstalling drivers, rebooting, then reinstalling drivers

PostPosted: Sun 11-02-2008 8:31PM 
Colonel

Yeah, I went with a clean install of vista with the newest drivers (oct 15) from nvidia's website. I seem to be crashing about 10 minutes into playing halo 2 now that i've been trying it. lame. :|

Turned around to blast an alien and the screen goes magenta, fun.

PostPosted: Sun 11-02-2008 11:30PM 
Colonel

If it's something that only happens in games, maybe it has something to do with directx. Not sure on details, just a place to look into. Maybe it's a common result of a windows update or something. Either that or it's a loose cable and a hell of a lot of coincidental timing.

Good luck and I'd like to hear if/how you get this worked out.

peace

PostPosted: Sun 11-02-2008 11:54PM 
Captain

calculusninja wrote:
So, recently my computer's been acting up. For about a year I've been running WoW using an 8800gtx (overkill anyone? haha) and a few days ago it's started being stupid. Whenever I go to play it, the intro movies are fine, but when the login screen appears my screen turns a solid color. Like purple, blue, cyan, off-pink... it's getting annoying. Everything freezes (sound gets stuck, caps lock unresponsive) and I have to hard reset. I updated drivers, ran WoWRepair, reinstalled WoW, formatted and reinstalled windows... and I keep having the same problem.

Your card is borked. You can try running it underclocked if your warranty isn't good anymore to get it replaced. I had to do that to a card I had for a while. Mine was a 6800ultra and after it just got hot enough or was abused enough it'd do that, regardless of game. It was just a matter of time.

Maybe check to see if its heatsink is filled with dust? Otherwise just underclock it til it stops and see if the game is still playable, I'd wager it will be. I only had to underclock mine like 25mhz for it to be stable. It's still working at the slower speeds with no problems some what, 5-6 years later?

PostPosted: Mon 11-03-2008 5:14AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
This is why I always get video cards with lifetime warranties. In my experience, the video card is the most likely component to die, especially for a gamer, cause it's used so heavily and gets so hot. eVGA, BFG, etc. ftw

-6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Ram
-eVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB Video Card
-Razer Barracuda 7.1 Sound Card
-8 HD's totaling 5820GB Storage
-Corsair 1000HX 1000W PSU

PostPosted: Mon 11-03-2008 7:16AM 
Major General

I would try changing vga/dvi cables to see if that's it. Had a friend who's monitor would go completely pink everyonce and a while b/c of a bad vga cable.

PostPosted: Mon 11-03-2008 6:19PM 
Colonel

lolupdate

underclocked the gpu by (get this) 50% (600mhz->300mhz) and it seems to be working better. oddly enough such a cut doesn't affect WoW or TF2, so coolio I guess. played WoW for 2 hrs with no crash yet. we shall see.