PostPosted: Tue 11-11-2008 1:34AM 
post whore
post whore

Source: Off Campus
amd2800barton wrote:
berto wrote:
cmptrnrd16 wrote:

Raise your hand if you had an A7n8x board die. *raises hand*

I still use my 5 year old asus a7n8x-e deluxe in one of the computers back home.

a7n8x-e deluxe represent! its what is in my desktop (athlon xp 2800 barton core, 1gb corsair ddr400, 256mb 7800gs), and works like a champ. I run all the latest source games at 1920x1050 with AA, AF, and all settings on High - gets 30-40fps. Asus boards rock.

ASUS, on the other hand, doesn't. Working with them sucks. They write shitty code and push it into your repository without ever telling you. Then your product stops working mysteriously for the next 3-4 weeks. You blame berto for it, but even after he fixes his big "oops" it's still crappy. Damn you ASUS. Damn you.

Also, my a7n8x deluxe was pretty nice. It had some weird issues with keeping bios settings for my overclock, and not posting sometimes... but besides that it worked like a champ and had good onboard sound.

Post subject: Re: CMOS Checksum error
PostPosted: Tue 11-11-2008 4:16AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
Last time I had to work with asus support they were quite helpful. My brother's via k8t890 motherboard sucks. He bought it when socket 939 was just coming out and the nforce 4 was way too expensive at the time. The board is plagued with problems - most all of these are because of a shitty chipset (the via 890). We've been able to work around these for his computer, but its annoying - and that's the last time I ever buy (or let a build i'm working on have) a motherboard that isn't widely adopted already & had its kinks discovered & worked out.

The only problem that wasn't from a shitty northbridge was the chipset fan got very noisy and then died about a month out of warranty. We called up asus and they shipped us a nice new larger fanless heatsink and apologized for the inconvenience. The people on the phone have always been very curteous and helpful, though I wish more tech support & RMA departments were open on weekends.

Side note: Logitech also has amazing customer service. When the above motherboard decided to randomly turn off onboard sound, and my brother though his out-of-warranty speakers died - Logitech sent him a brand new 5.1 set, and didn't even ask he send the old ones back.