Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 9:06AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: FLAC Library
PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 2:16PM 
Corporal

Source: RC II
I am beginning the task of re-ripping all my CD's to FLAC and was (probably hopelessly) wondering if anybody else uses FLAC files.

-Complete artwork [seen in avatar] located TJN2 next to 202
-JRHII

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FLAC Library
PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 2:20PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Off Campus
Umm......lots of people use flac......you're not special.

I honestly don't know the point of this thread. Maybe you were looking for a poll?

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 2:43PM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
Personally i dont understand people who download flac files if you like the music so much you want it lossless go buy it

I understand you own these cds. May I suggest before going through all the work get a nice set of headphones, its like listening to your music for the first time again (and that is with mp3 files)

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 3:00PM 
Corporal

Source: RC II
Quote:
I honestly don't know the point of this thread. Maybe you were looking for a poll?

Hmmm.....It appears I had mistakenly pressed submit to soon before. I was going on to ask what a good Linux music manager might be, as an opinion. I up to now have kept my music on my windows, because I tend to be on that more on my laptop, but since I am starting the FLAC such and such on my linux box, and am going to keep two separate libraries (slowly in the process of organizing the windows library, as it is a mess), I need to find a good linux manager. I want to have something that I can efficiently edit tags with, and pulling online data would be a plus too.

BASICALLY, I'm currently looking at Banshee or Amarok, but am looking for recommendations/suggestions as I would like to make a good choice once instead of cycling through too much trial and error.

-JRHII

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 3:27PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
I'm Windows only, so I can't help too much with a 'real' music manager for Linux, but if you're looking for something to edit a bunch of tags at once with I suggest MusicBrainz Picard Tagger (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagger). Its what I use to make sure all my stuff is tagged and organized the way I like it and there are versions for both Windows and Linux.
And on the original post the only FLAC I've got is NIN's Ghosts I-IV and The Slip because that the format I downloaded them as. I keep all my other stuff as mp3 because I care more about keeping the file size down than the audio quality.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 4:26PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ North
I like ripping flac for myself, just because i know for sure the whole song is there. (Ive got bad luck with mp3's at times)

As for music player, heres my experience: rhythmbox was fantastic. Lightweight, I love the browser on it, could leave it open for days. Problem is, it starts getting buggy when your collection goes 11k+ or so. I think I even crashed it / had collection updating issues all the time. Afaik any other player will manage 11k+

Listen is a lot like rhythmbox, graphically at least. Some extra features like online server syncing for finding tags and looking up info on the content.

Amarok is great, but its bulky. I cant run it on server, takes too much memory, but currently I use a nfs mount on my laptop, and amarok uses my library over the network. The equalizer on Amarok is what had me sold. Not many players have them.

Im not sure about banshee, i tried a player that ran exclusively off of playlists (no browsing function) i think that was banshee - not a fan

One app that looks like it has a lot of potential is gmusicbrowser. Its got a browser, and the GUI is pretty configurable. Its about as feature packed as Amarok (I believe it even has an equalizer) but it wasnt as memory intensive. Only problem was, i couldnt figure out how to set it up right, and it would never detect my collection (That was before it appeared in the repos though, im sure its easier to set up now)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 4:33PM 
Corporal

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
gmusicbrowser looked like it would be really nice if it continues to be worked on, though currently it has limited file support.

-JRHII

Profile E-mail