Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:21AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Printing restrictions
PostPosted: Wed 04-29-2009 9:23PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Get a tablet if you have that many issues with it. Damn....graduating ftmfw! fuck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-29-2009 10:26PM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
bagvwf wrote:
---To me though, the whole paperless shift is ridiculous.

You're missing the point entirely. It's not to eliminate printing but to stop the few people that abuse the system (examples mention above). Do you realize how much we spend on paper and toner? Imagine if we could cut out the people that are printing thousands of powerpoints with one slide on a page in color and then leaving them in a printer. Money could be saved on there and instead be spent on upgrading the CLC machines everyone bitch about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-29-2009 10:29PM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
I think its a good idea and just start one semester to track it with no restrictions. Let people know they are being tracked. Just like when my parents tell me every month how many text messages i sent/received I cut back (even with an unlimited plan). If I got an e-mail saying I printed 1500 pages I would be more careful to print 2 or 4 sheets to a page. That wont change some. With some statistics they can then decide a restriction plan. I think it is a small percentage of people printing the most. I can't print anything in EE anymore without a grad student printing a book.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-29-2009 10:42PM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Fidelity
LostBoyz wrote:
I think its a good idea and just start one semester to track it with no restrictions.

Seconded. I'd actually be curious to know that information. I don't print too much random shit, but it'd still be a good figure to know.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 12:55AM 
bertowned
bertowned

I think a daily printing limit would be a good idea - it wouldn't have to be that low either. Just enough to stop people from printing books, but not enough to get in your way if you have to print off a large report & some handouts once in a while.

edit:

Actually - I'm willing to bet that I'm at least a standard deviation below the mean, so I think I'm in favor of a cents/page deal as long as its at cost (ie not a IT profit means) because it would mean: A) a reduction in my student fees, with a lesser increase in my printing costs B) slight increase in printing costs, but my student fees are going to something more worth while (aka not someone printing off all of their textbooks at my expense) like better CLCs

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 11:09AM 
Major General

Source: Havener Center
LostBoyz wrote:
I think its a good idea and just start one semester to track it with no restrictions. Let people know they are being tracked. Just like when my parents tell me every month how many text messages i sent/received I cut back (even with an unlimited plan). If I got an e-mail saying I printed 1500 pages I would be more careful to print 2 or 4 sheets to a page. That wont change some. With some statistics they can then decide a restriction plan. I think it is a small percentage of people printing the most. I can't print anything in EE anymore without a grad student printing a book.

There is still going to be a limit next semester. Enough data already exists that they can make an educated estimation as to what the quota should be. Yes, there will be a behavioural aspect of the system, since people print less when they know its being tracked. After the system is implemented IT will be watching usage and determine if the quota is too high or low and adjust accordingly.
amd2800barton wrote:
I think a daily printing limit would be a good idea - it wouldn't have to be that low either. Just enough to stop people from printing books, but not enough to get in your way if you have to print off a large report & some handouts once in a while.
edit:
Actually - I'm willing to bet that I'm at least a standard deviation below the mean, so I think I'm in favor of a cents/page deal as long as its at cost (ie not a IT profit means) because it would mean: A) a reduction in my student fees, with a lesser increase in my printing costs B) slight increase in printing costs, but my student fees are going to something more worth while (aka not someone printing off all of their textbooks at my expense) like better CLCs

The limit most likely be tracked by semester and definitely not by day. Also, if you think that student IT fees pay for all of the student printing on campus you're sorely mistaken. Any printing that you do over you quota will definitely be at cost since IT is not looking to turn this into a profitable venture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 11:30AM 
post whore
post whore

The thing I hate about limits like these is that I almost never use as much as the limit will be set at... but you can guarantee I'm gunna get my money's worth and print every page I have left in my quota during finals week.

We should organize Print Day - get everyone to go print their unused quota all on December 13th or something, then a similar date in May.

(I'm not for wasting paper, but if I'm going to be limited on something, I'm going to use all of it :p) (Edit: unless there is an incentive not to)

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 12:11PM 
Major General

Source: Havener Center
This is why we're encouraging IT to allow for an amount of rollover so that you wont lose an unused amount.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 1:17PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: Somewhere On Campus
I hope they cap it at like 100 pages.

Screw everybody over except me because I doubt I have even printed 50 pages this semester.

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 1:28PM 
Drowning

what about when i need to rasterbate?

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 2:06PM 
Major General

Source: CivilE Building
LostBoyz wrote:
what about when i need to rasterbate?

Personal printing is actually prohibited by UM policy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 3:13PM 
post whore
post whore

What happens if we start a 500 page job, then cancel it?

Also, IT, if you're reading this... I absolutely love having control over all of the printer queues on campus. Absolutely.

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 3:23PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
As a grad student running Linux in my office, this would suck if they disabled remote printing since I print to the CLC down the hall. I really don't want to fight with winshit printing. Maybe I'll get my own printer or something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 4:32PM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
benm wrote:

Also, IT, if you're reading this... I absolutely love having control over all of the printer queues on campus. Absolutely.

Then you go into the client and click cancel.

Agentzak wrote:
As a grad student running Linux in my office, this would suck if they disabled remote printing since I print to the CLC down the hall. I really don't want to fight with winshit printing. Maybe I'll get my own printer or something.

Nothing has been said about restricting where you can print from just that you run the client and authenticate yourself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-30-2009 6:16PM 
post whore
post whore

Chankster wrote:
benm wrote:

Then you go into the client and click cancel.

Agentzak wrote:

Nothing has been said about restricting where you can print from just that you run the client and authenticate yourself.

When you print though, doesn't it send your entire job to the queue, where it eventually gets printed from? How will it know how many pages, if any, got printed.

Also, this would appear to be trying to combat an administrative issue with a technological solution. If someone is abusing the system, they should pay for it - the solution shouldn't be to force a something onto everyone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next