* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 6:53AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Building a DVR ?
PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 3:52PM 
Sergeant

Location: Stuck in traffic between 17 Capitol Bldg and 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW

Source: Off Campus
I am going to try to turn an old computer into a DVR, but there are many different ways to go about it I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on which way to go. The base I have is a

Power Spec :
CPU ~ Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
Ram ~ 480 MB
Hardrive ~ 322 GB
OS ~ Windows XP, v.2002 Pack 3

Things I need to keep in mind is Mom wants it to work with a remote, and play her itunes and Dad wants it the to use the full power of the HD TV and the 5.1 surround sound which he insists can only be done with a HDMI cable :? . We have Netflicks and Cox Cable so it should work with them. I am willing to pay money for hardware and/or software for start up but there is no way I will pay a monthly membership fees.

Post subject: Re: Building a DVR ?
PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 6:49PM 
Colonel

Source: Sigma Nu
- OS: Mythbuntu (you'll lose itunes) or buck up some money for Windows XP Media Center edition, both of these should prevent month subscription fees (I think, I haven't played with mythbuntu in a couple years), but I don't know the limitations of XP's codecs for video recording

- TV Tuner: Hauppauge HD Card, I would suggest the WinTV-HVR-1600, it has an analog and a digital tuner so you can record one of each show at a time, or record on one and watch on the other

- Audio: Buy a mid range sound card, if it has optical SPDIF or a coax (RCA) digital output should should be able to find an input on most recievers or TVs. HDMI is a simple solution but would require getting a new video card instead of an audio card.

Post subject: Re: Building a DVR ?
PostPosted: Wed 04-29-2009 3:56AM 
Sergeant

Location: Stuck in traffic between 17 Capitol Bldg and 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW

Source: Off Campus
Thanks I was thinking the same thing for software, and the audio card is a great idea. Blackmagic's HDMI video card is the only HDMI solution I found but its price and lack of software puts it out of reach. But upon more research I found that the this area (Washington D.C.) has all cycling encrypted channels, except for NBC, effectively killing this idea, I had never realized just how far this copyright issue goes, no wounder ever one is bugged by it. Then again a problems not a problem till it affects you. Thank you.