Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 04-16-2024 5:03PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ubuntu vpn
PostPosted: Fri 06-05-2009 8:59PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
I use hardy ubuntu and set up the vpn through the network manager with the cisco vpn. When I'm in Rolla (fidelity if that matters) it connects 100% of the time, no problem. When I'm visiting parents in St. Louis, I'd say it connects about 5% of the time. Most of the time it tries to connect and after 10 seconds it says

Code:
VPN Connect Failure

Could not start the VPN connection 'mst' due to a connection error.

The VPN login failed because the VPN program could not connect to the VPN server.

I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the timeout since it needs a little more time to connect from St. Louis but I can't figure out how to change the timeout setting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ubuntu vpn
PostPosted: Sun 06-07-2009 5:46PM 
Spanish

A handshake shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to establish a vpn connection. This sounds more like a firewall issue, first check on your router to see if it has ipsec passthrough enabled. If that's not the issue, it might be an issue on the ISP's side.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 06-07-2009 10:38PM 
Brigadier General

It seems like all the settings are correct since it just did it right now perfectly in maybe 3-5 seconds. ipsec passthrough is enabled, otherwise I don't think that I'd be able to connect now. I don't change anything, so I don't think it's my computer or router. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't. It doesn't work more often than not in St. Louis. The reason I think it's a timeout issue is because of the difference between St. Louis and Rolla. When I'm in Rolla vpn connects fast (3-5 seconds is slow in Rolla) and connects often (95%+). I have very little trouble with vpn in Rolla. When I'm in St. Louis, I notice that it connects slower and sometimes seems to make it just before the 10 second cutoff. I think that maybe if I gave it just 5 more seconds it wouldn't get cutoff but I don't know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 06-08-2009 4:24PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
I've been having issues with VPN lately as well (using windows, if it makes a big difference). I am using the same settings that have worked all though last semester. Nothing on my end has changed. I wonder if there is some sort of maintenance going on for the summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 06-08-2009 6:57PM 
Brigadier General

Mine is a fairly ongoing problem since last December. Everytime I go home I have the problem but so far very little trouble with it in Rolla.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 06-11-2009 8:08PM 
Brigadier General

I'm leaning more and more towards timeout. I'm in Rolla and my internet is slow and vpn is working sporadically. Anyone know how to change the timeout to more than 10 seconds for times of slow internet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-02-2009 9:54PM 
Major

Some of the nicer people from IT finally accepted that there is a problem and it should now be fixed. My understanding is that something was wrong with the VPN box and that the traffic shaper was filtering VPN traffic. This means that it should now work again with the current version of VPNC, if you're one of the people who's had to drop to an older version. Also, the reason it worked in Rolla was because you were on Fidnet, which has a backdoor to campus.

If you have more problems, don't hesitate to submit a ticket.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-02-2009 10:17PM 
Brigadier General

I figured out how to set up PPTP VPN in Rolla, so I'll see if it works this weekend in St. Louis. I'll also give the cisco a try also. It's pretty nice when everyone else in the house using windows is fighting over the PPTP VPN while you're using cisco.

Profile E-mail