Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 3:41AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Find Prime Numbers!
PostPosted: Wed 01-12-2005 2:08AM 
Brigadier General

Source: TJ North
Anyway, I was bored and was looking at mathpuzzle.com when I came across something I thought was cool. If it turns out that it's not actually cool, I apologize, but here goes anyway:

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/

So, the search for prime numbers has branched out into the realm of where SETI at Home has gone before. So if your computer rarely does anything, download the program and start crunching numbers.

As far as teams are concerned, I went ahead and started a new team, UMR, and it would be cool if you were to join that one. And if any of our team members discover a new and quite large prime number, team UMR gets recognition.

Okay, that's it. Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-12-2005 9:44AM 
Brigadier General

Thanks to Swirls and cars8 and anyone else who has just signed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 01-12-2005 8:43PM 
Lieutenant

Source: TJ South
this is the shit, everyone should do this and kick the ass of all the other people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 8:44AM 
Major

Source: Farrar Hall
I recently read an article about a program called avida that can simulate many aspects of evolution through numbers. Very interesting and free for download... http://dllab.caltech.edu/avida/

\\GMAN 160GB+ shared

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 3:50PM 
Major

thanks for the post! I'm signed up.

I really like this team info page. It has tons of statistics about the work team UMR has completed, and how we rank with our teams and schools.

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/te ... teamID=408

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 5:43PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
Or maybe you'd rather help find a cure for Mad Cow Disease, Parkinson's, or Alzheimer's Disease.

http://folding.stanford.edu Folding@Home

Sign up on the UMR team (10276) and put that Radeon 9800--or that old Pentium box you never use anymore--to good use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 6:06PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

How exactly does folding help find a cure for those diseases? And please explain what folding is, because I'm too lazy to look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 8:04PM 
Brigadier General

GoldFiles wrote:

I really like this team info page. It has tons of statistics about the work team UMR has completed, and how we rank with our teams and schools.

Thanks to the thirteen or so we have so far. However, if we ever want to achieve awesomeness, we're going to have to take a hint from TeamPrimeRib, who apparently, with 723 members, wrote the handbook on pwnage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 8:16PM 
dell bitch

Source: Kelly Hall
tambora wrote:
GoldFiles wrote:

Thanks to the thirteen or so we have so far. However, if we ever want to achieve awesomeness, we're going to have to take a hint from TeamPrimeRib, who apparently, with 723 members, wrote the handbook on pwnage.

With the new IT policy, I'm sure this program will be labeled "Okay, but sitll bad for bandwidth usage."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 8:45PM 
Captain

It doesn't use much bandwidth, but it will use most of your spare clock cycles. Check the FAQ.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 9:16PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
ben laden wrote:
How exactly does folding help find a cure for those diseases? And please explain what folding is, because I'm too lazy to look.

BSE (mad cow disease) and Alzheimer's Disease are part of a group of diseases caused by protein folding disorders.

If you remember back to biology, your body's DNA is nothing more than a code for a protein string that has some function in your body. The DNA is used to make RNA, which in turn helps put together proteins in the right order.

But having the right order is only half the key. In order to function, protein strings assemble themselves, or fold, into the shapes necessary to perform whatever function it is that they do. When they fold properly, things are well. But every once in a while, one will misfold, and when that happens, it doesn't work right. Once it's introduced to the body, that protein's replicated over and over, and before long so much of the defective protein exists that it causes problems with the body....in the form of Mad Cow Disease in cattle, or diseases like Alzheimer's in humans.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project that attempts to figure out how protiens fold, and why they misfold. You can read all about it on their site at folding.stanford.edu, or go there to install their client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 10:05PM 
Penis Hater

Source: Fidelity
The seventeen or bust program uses almost no bandwidth at all... so i'm pretty sure IT won't care.

My new title was my idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01-13-2005 10:28PM 
dell bitch

Source: Kelly Hall
Sutherlands wrote:
The seventeen or bust program uses almost no bandwidth at all... so i'm pretty sure IT won't care.

True, it only uploads a minimal amount of data every 5 minutes or so. I thought it was doing it continously.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01-14-2005 12:45PM 
Lieutenant

Source: EE Building
Team UMR is really moving up on the stats list. Weren't we like in 300th place yesterday?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 01-14-2005 1:37PM 
Lieutenant

Source: TJ South
we'll be in the top ten of overall rate if we can keep it up, but if we want to get anywere near the top we need more people working on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next