Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed 05-08-2024 1:46PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unreal Tournament 3
PostPosted: Sun 10-14-2007 3:36AM 
Captain

Source: RC II
Anyone played the demo yet? My suite-mates and I pounded through a bunch of bots on several different modes, and I'm really enjoying what they've got so far. I've always loved UT, and Epic hasn't disappointed me yet.

I will need a new video card, though, if I don't want my eyes to bleed.

Also, I believe it was mentioned somewhere that there is a desire for an actual UMR dedicated server to be set up (similar to the CS servers we've got up already, I imagine). I personally support this idea, and to get the ball rolling (even though I honestly have no idea if I'm even sticking my head into the right holes for this one), I sent an email to gamesrv@umr.edu asking about it. If anyone has any better ideas as to where to send one, I'd be more than happy to write another one up to get this to happen. Also, if anyone else is interested in this, I recommend you send an email as well (or start pounding on some doors--it's not like we're all that far from any of the people we're emailing). Here's the one I sent (it's a bit awkward, but I think it works).

Quote:
To whom it may concern:

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a dedicated game server set up for the Unreal Tournament 3 demo (and for the full game when it is released next month). There is a large volume of support for the installment of this server, and I believe it would be a worthwhile endeavor and addition to the UMR’s network of game servers.

More information about the game can be found here:

http://www.unrealtournament3.com/us/index.html

Thank you for your time.

Anyway, now that I'm done with the boring stuff, thoughts on the demo? I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-16-2007 11:26AM 
Colonel

Source: CompSci Building
I've been playing the demo a bit too. I think it's going to be the best UT yet, actually. The only complaints I have so far is the minigun seems overpowered, and the rockets ought to be a bit faster in my opinion (less emphasis on hitscan, please). Also, the darkwalker is retarded. It should be disabled on that map for TDM and duel at least.

If you're having problems with framerates, try some of the tweaks on here:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1457729

Turning off the HDR should be helpful, see the meep.txt for a brief guide if you don't want to read all the other crap.

I would like to see a campus server too, and I would like if it were passworded with the password in the title of the server to help keep random people from the net off of it (most people will filter passworded servers). These 24 person servers they have currently are retarded. 24 people running around on a medium-sized deathmatch map... I think a 12 person would be plenty for this demo.

Do you have AIM, MSN, or xFire?

AIM: e1pupitre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-17-2007 3:10PM 
Captain

Yeah, there's a bit of a balance issue with the guns, and the bots' AI is a bit out of whack. My roommates and I can clear the CTF level against godlike (or the level under it, I can't recall) bots in a matter of minutes, but we get slaughtered that high in deathmatch. I think they need to get the bots to focus a little less on killing in CTF. =P

I also agree the rockets need to be faster. It also seems like the flak grenade has a smaller effective area than in UT2k4, and it's almost useless in comparison to just a regular flak shot anymore. At least, I can't seem to get it to work any sort of magic like in 2K4.

Thanks for the tweaks link. I'll check that out next time I run the demo.

I have AIM and MSN and Yahoo. BlackDragonHunt for all of the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-18-2007 8:14PM 
Captain

I think the rockets are just fine, honestly. I do however disagree with what they have done to the flack cannon. It has been nerfed quite a bit from UT2k4. A direct normal shot to the face of an enemy if they're at 100 health and no shields no longer kills in 1 hit. And the flack-nade has a smaller AoE. It's quite disappointing. Though yeah, the AI for CTF is a bit underwhelming. My friends and I were able to take 2:3 inhuman bots on it. And yeah, the darkwalker thing...there needs to be options to disable those kinds of things. There will be in the full game though, hopefully.

And yes, a dedicated server from UMR here would be quite a good thing; since the entire campus has yet to be LANed together. Please dedicated server! Anyway. I think this is my favorite UT so far, the new items and such make it quite a bit more strategic than just run and gun, but still retains the core of run and gun. <3 UT3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 10-20-2007 12:52AM 
Sergeant

Source: RC I
the demo/beta has a bunch of errors for me ( and many other people aparently) so hopefully they fix it up a bit. But from what i can tell, it looks like it may win game of the year. There are a lot of good games this year:

Quake Wars
Portal...
UT
TF

but UT3 seems like a good game to get into as it probably will be a big lan/tournament game like all UT games are.